LSI 9206-16e Firmware Update Fault

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ngiovas

Mar 12, 2022
I am new to the forum (and to HBAs in general). I am setting up a new server and decided to use an HBA card instead of multiple SATA adapter cards. I picked up an LSI 9206-16e and was trying to update the firmware before installing my drives.

I found the latest version of firmware (20.0) on the broadcom web site and put it on a thumb drive along with the other needed files (sas2flash.efi, etc.).

When attempting to update the firmware, I get a firmware fault code: 2622. I can't find a reference to this anywhere online and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

Steps I followed:

• Entered Shell mode through Bios
  • mounted drive 0
  • The first time I attempted to flash the firmware, I ran the listall command and it showed the card and that it was on firmware v17
  • I erased the existing firmware using the command sas2flash.efi -o -e 6
  • I then attempted to flash the firmware I downloaded by running the command sas2flash.efi -o -f 9206-16e.bin -b mptsas2.rom
The system posted the following messages during the firmware update:

Firmware image has a valid checksum
Firmware version 20.00.07.00
Firmware image compatible with controller

valid NVDATA Image found
NVDATA version 14.01.00.00
checking for a compatible nvdata image...

nvdata device id and chip revision match verified.
valid initialization image verified.
valid bootloader image verified.

chip is in RESET state. Attempting host boot...
firmware host boot successful.

mfg page 2 mismatch detected.
writing current mfg page 2 settings to nvram
failed to validate mfg page 2!

firmware fault occurred. Fault code: 2622
due to error remaining commands will not be executed
unable to process commands
exiting sas2flash

Now when I do a -listall, I get the following message:

Adapter selected is a lsi SAS: SAS2308_2(D1)

Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required. Enter firmware file name or quit to exit.

If I enter the firmware file name again, it goes through the process again, but then provides the same error.

I'm not sure if there is an issue with the card, the file I am trying to load, or some other issue. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

thanks,

Nick

2600box

Nov 10, 2023
Did you ever figure this out? I am in the same boat and would appreciate any pointers