LSI 9200-8i card not recognized on X11SCL-F w/ E-2246G

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reichbc

Jan 15, 2021
Edit: The storage card was damaged in shipping. The heatsink took a solid hit from another device in the box and it ripped the corner of the chip off the board. I was lucky to have it work long enough to pull data, but the last disconnect before this new machine sealed the deal.

Hello all!

I bought components for a new multi-purpose server/NAS box and I'm trying to re-use my existing LSI HBA with the system.

The card is labeled as LSI 9200-8i, but I strongly believe it's a 9211 variant. This is the eBay seller I got it from: LSI 9200-8i IT Mode
I attempted using Fohdeesha's tools to re-flash the BIOS ROM and UEFI ROM, using a different machine. UEFI was missing, but this did nothing.

My new board is a Supermicro X11SCL-F with a Xeon E-2246G. On paper, the board has three PCI-e slots listed as x8, x4, x4 and they are wired directly to the CPU with 16 lanes available. All other PCI devices are handled by the PCH (M.2, Ethernet, etc.)

This card will not detect in this board no matter what slot it's in, or what settings I change. I managed to get it to light up ONCE but it showed "Linked at x0 Gen1" - which makes zero sense. This was under the PEG Configuration menu. It did not work in the OS during this. (ESXi, Ubuntu, Debian, FreeDOS [Fohdeesha] were all tested).

I have two running theories;
a) the card is damaged in some way, which doesn't make sense to me as I had just used it in a different board to offload data from a degraded array.
b) The CPU or motherboard potentially don't support PCI-e 2.0 devices, which doesn't make a lot of sense either because it's supposed to be backwards compatible.

I'm at the point where I'm about to buy a new card that uses PCI-e 3.0 and hope it works... but I figured I'd at least shout from the bottom of my hole and hope someone throws a rope. A friend of mine has the same board, with the same exact HBA, except their processor is a Celeron G4930. This is what leads me to believe it may be CPU related.

Thank you!

Last edited: