Lowest Power Consumption NIC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
Hi All,

Not sure if this is documented somewhere, and I am sorry if I missed the topic.

Looking for the most efficient dual-port 10 gig NIC for a homelab server. SFP+ cage is probably obviously lower power than copper.

Intel X710? Connect-X 4? Chelsio?

Aluminat

Jul 5, 2019
At the moment, Intel X710-T4L is the lowest. So far with maximum pwr around 14.2W with 4 port at 10Gbps speed.
1660535781182.png

Reactions: altmind

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Hi All,

Not sure if this is documented somewhere, and I am sorry if I missed the topic.

Looking for the most efficient dual-port 10 gig NIC for a homelab server. SFP+ cage is probably obviously lower power than copper.

Intel X710? Connect-X 4? Chelsio?

Any specific needs: OS/Hypervisor support? New or is used OK? etc.

For example, Solarflare 7000 Series is 5.9w typical for dual port & dual port ConnectX-2 are 6.4w. But neither is current product any longer and you'd be missing out on a number of features thatn newer, more full featured, adapters like the X710 or newer Mellanox would have. They'll work on Linux, but Windows Server driver support is spotty at best, and ESXi is right out.

They'll work for basic 10G with no bells or whistles though, and they can be gotten cheap. All depends on what you need for your lab. Honestly though, as long as you avoid the crazy high consumption models, most models at the bottom end of the consumption scale are within a watt or two of each other.