Lowest Cost 4 Port 10Gb Option?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
So I've benn looking around for a 4 port 10gb switch and my old Dell 24 port switch is starting to fail. I read Patrick's review of the D-LINK DGS-1510-28X and at $520 it seems like it might be my best option. But I thought I would ask ans see if I may have mussed another option in that price range or cheaper. The Quanta LB6M seems interesting but I would still need another gigabit switch. They also seem to have gone way up in price and given tbat all my equipment is in my office might be too loud.

Thoughts?

Oh and I have three servers with Intel X520's that I'd like to get connected. I also have twinax cables to do direct connect but I think I'd prefer it all be on the same network.

stupidcomputers

May 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
www.linkedin.com
I just purchased a Dell 6224 for $100 and 2x dual port 10gb XFP modules for $40 each off of ebay. 24 gb ports, 4 sfp ports, and 4 10gb ports. Took awhile to find a seller willing to go this low, but deals can be had!

I settled on the XFP modules and will just use fiber instead.

Steve

So I've benn looking around for a 4 port 10gb switch and my old Dell 24 port switch is starting to fail. I read Patrick's review of the D-LINK DGS-1510-28X and at $520 it seems like it might be my best option. But I thought I would ask ans see if I may have mussed another option in that price range or cheaper. The Quanta LB6M seems interesting but I would still need another gigabit switch. They also seem to have gone way up in price and given tbat all my equipment is in my office might be too loud.

Thoughts?

Oh and I have three servers with Intel X520's that I'd like to get connected. I also have twinax cables to do direct connect but I think I'd prefer it all be on the same network.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Is the module you purchased a YY741? Would that work with my X520-DA1? What cable would I use?

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Hmm, I see XFP to SFP+ cables out there, but they appear to be 70-100 a piece. That makes it a no go for me since I already have my twinax dacs. At that price point, even if I get the dell switch and setup, I'm looking at $500+ after cables. I may as well get a brand new D-Link with SFP+ and use my cables. Interesting option though.

Are there other SFP+ options out there outside of the LB6M?

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Not sure what your price range is but there is a whole thread on here about the 10G Switches around the $500 mark. I picked up a Dell x1052p which is a 48 Port POE Switch with 4 - 10G SFP+. I am sure the none POE version is less, this sounds like it would fit what you are looking for. So far the switch has accepted every SFP+ I've put in it which includes $20 ones I picked up off e-bay but I also picked up several Dell DAC Cables which obviously work fine. The SFPs also work fine in my Mellanox Cards but did NOT work in my Intel card.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Looks like the x1052 is around the $500 price point. Definitely a reasonable option. How is the noise on that model? I like 48 ports versus 24 for the same price relative to the dlink.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Looks like the x1052 is around the $500 price point. Definitely a reasonable option. How is the noise on that model? I like 48 ports versus 24 for the same price relative to the dlink.
The noise is fine, its a variable fan setup, I have a half dozen POE Devices running off mine and all 4 of the SFP+ Connections in use along with 20 other ports and when you power it up it goes full blast for a few seconds then calms down based on the environment. I have mine in my basement but could certainly have it in my office as long as you keep the ambient temp going in to it reasonable you will no be disturbed by the noise.

I do want to mention that this is a new line for Dell and they decided that they were going to go heavy on the GUI over the CLI and in doing that they crippled the CLI which would be fine but the GUI is a little buggy but once you manage to fumble your way around things you should be all set. It doesn't seem to effect the stability of the switch and I have various LAG / VLANs and POE and 10G so I feel like I am using the functionality pretty well.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely consider this. I really wish they had some quiet 8-12 port options in the 10GB market in the same price range as the X1052. But I guess I'll just have to settle for four ports if I want decent noise and to not break the bank.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely consider this. I really wish they had some quiet 8-12 port options in the 10GB market in the same price range as the X1052. But I guess I'll just have to settle for four ports if I want decent noise and to not break the bank.
Well you might want to wait, take it from me, I bought this and went with 10G Connections to my 2 Dell Servers and two workstations in my network and I just upgraded my NAS to a 10G Version so I technically need a total of 6 - 10G Connections. I am eying the Dell x4012 which is a 12 port but no Copper Ports. Of course the price is up there so I need to wait but might consider selling my x1052p to help cover the cost since I have a backup POE Switch ready to go.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I'm not in too big of a rush. So I'll either wait for an LB6M to go for sub-400 again and find a nice closet to silence it with, or another option will come along. Thanks for the input!