Low-Power Home Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NotTheAverage

Mar 3, 2017
Build’s Name: BetterThanPi
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Ubuntu Server 16.04.02 LTS
CPU: Intel Celeron N3160
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-N3160TN
Chassis: Custom
Drives: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L
Add-in Cards:
Power Supply: 60W brick from old laptop
Other Bits:

Usage Profile:
Web Server, Mail Server, File Server, Cloud Server.

Other information… Trying to build my first x86 64bit server for my Laravel Apps that will also take care of my Cloud needs with Seafile and e-mail account with Dovecot-Postfix. The whole idea is to have all those devices and cables lying around in a compact "tower" which will eventually be power by a single PSU. I know that network components and modems are not very relevant but they are part of the concept. Would appreciate your opinion and what you think I did wrong or what I can improve.IMG1.jpg IMG2.jpg IMG3.jpg IMG4.jpg

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I see a switch/modem, assuming that bottom board is 'the build' gigabyte board, what's that POE and 4 ports device?

NotTheAverage

Mar 3, 2017
I see a switch/modem, assuming that bottom board is 'the build' gigabyte board, what's that POE and 4 ports device?
It is a Routerboard RB850Gx2. The Mikrotik is bridged with the Draytek and makes the PPPoE connection. There is also the ISPs modem/router on the side (not visible) plugged in on the Mikrotik for the VoIP. wi-fi and stuff like that are disabled on the ISP's device since I only use it for the VoIP. ISP gives me no option to use another modem for VoIP.

Last edited:

NotTheAverage

Mar 3, 2017
I'm wondering where the SSDs are. And RAM is low-profile? Need side/rear pics.
The first SSD is behind the switch where there is space. The other SSD is mSATA. Planning on getting a 3rd 850 EVO to make a different partitioning scenario. IMG5.jpg

NotTheAverage

Mar 3, 2017
There is also a Synology NAS DS216se on the side which I will replace as soon as I am comfortable enough to make my own FreeNAS. Do you think it is possible to have FreeNAS plus all the services I mentioned on my initial post on that same N3160 board?