Low noise home server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

servNiX

Oct 9, 2016
The server will be in my room, basically about 4m from my bed, will run 24/7 a 365 days per year.

Should also mention my home connection is 500/20 mbit, but will proxy it via other vps server.

I dont need it much powerfull, just about 4TB hdd, 32 or 64 GB ram, cpu with about 8 or 16 threads.

Should be also tower model, 1U servers are noisy as hell.

Also i dont mind 1U if will be NOT noisy.

Any idea which one to choose?

Thanks much!

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Or if you're willing to use something older and do some CPU/RAM upgrade, the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 works very well (though it's difficult to go over 16GB with it. I have read about people upgrading it to 32GB...). And it's very quiet in the default setting.

Reactions: servNiX

servNiX

Oct 9, 2016
Thx for all comments :) Also budget ? I forgot to mention it sorry, the lower the better :D but something not above 500€ for now.

Anyone heard about HP ProLiant VM 10 Gen9 ? its good?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well one of this type of boxes might be good for you. Depends on secondary requirements (the gen9 v1 only has a single nic onboard, no IPMI) but can be upgraded.
Also depends on what you want to do with it? :)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Or if you're willing to use something older and do some CPU/RAM upgrade, the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 works very well (though it's difficult to go over 16GB with it. I have read about people upgrading it to 32GB...). And it's very quiet in the default setting.
Can you point to some links for Gen 8 with 32 GB RAM? I've never been able to find 16GB sticks that are compatible with it.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Well, prior to my buying the MicroServer, I have read through this whole thread here and also some other threads in the MicroServer Gen8 section. I think I have read about it somewhere there, but I would not say I am 100% sure, and do not remember a specific post. But if it was somewhere, it was there.

Edit: I settled for 12GB in my Gen8 (4GB it came with, and another 8GB stick), as that's enough for the 3TB of disk space and 1 single VM it's running ATM.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I was sleeping next to HP Microserver G8 (literally 2m away from me) for a year or so.
Now I'm sleeping next to a Dual Xeon E5 workstation.

I can notice it, but I believe after I put new coolers in it - it will be very quiet.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Living in a climate (tropical) that dictates air-con both to reduce temp and humidity 365 days a year and being in a rental apartment split systems are the norm (as compared to baffled silent ducked systems) you get used to it

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
That should just hum/lull you to sleep right? :p
And nice lightning show with number of drives and videocards ;)
But seriously, my fridge (basic GE, in rental apartments) is way louder. I guess server can be noticeable, but with all that horsepower it's just idling.