Low Energy Server wanted

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stwenzel

Apr 12, 2017
Hi all,

I am currently running a home server on Debian Jessie with 5 x 2 TB Disks, 8 GB RAM and a 4 core Xeon X3330.
The machine is our mail server, web server for some blogs and photos and our media server (UPNP) for music and videos.
I would like to upgrade to a low energy server as this one is quite old now. Best would be to keep the disks and upgrade motherboard and processors.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Stefan

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Any Xeon-d with 4 cores or more from D-1518 onwards will give at least 20% better performance and potentially a lot more...

i3 current generation is another good option on a server main board (ECC ram), or of course and e3 Xeon but they tend to have more expensive memory.

If power usage is more important than $$ the 2x10tb disks will consume a heap less power.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Xeon D-1541 based motherboards (or lower power Xeon D variant).

Edit: @Evan has been faster and more thorough... ;)

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
I currently have a 6x4TB WD Reds with a Xeon-D 1540 and 2X16GB DDR4 DIMMs. If you want me to power it on and plug the Killawatt in I'd be happy to do so. No OS on it yet, waiting on the RAID Card and SataDOM so I can't do load wattage.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I documented by build here; 22W idle, but that does include a 10GBe NIC. In your case, the disks will be a large part of the power consumption. Look into idling them at the very least.

Buying expensive power-saving hardware is generally only worth it if your electricity is expensive though. In my situation, the break-even point is $6/W of savings.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
You can't get that many drives in a R210-ii. Best you can do with Dell parts is three, 1 x 3.5 and 2 x 2.5.

My first inclination is to suggest you consider upgrading your storage. Any drives that old gotta have a lot of hours on them. What does smart say?

Dropping from 5 x 2TB to 3 x 4TB would save you as much power as a motherboard swap. I'd go with 3 x 6TB if you can afford it.

If you are committed to a motherboard / processor upgrade, it would help to know what your current motherboard and/or case is so we don't recommend a full size board for a micro atx case or a standard board for a proprietary case.