Looking to buy an older Synology DS2090

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty007

Feb 28, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Greeting all,

First timer here, looking for a suggestion/advice regarding an older DS209.

Buddy of mine is giving me a great deal on it, and I have a couple of WD Greens that I would like to put in it.

Only concern I have is that I am running a Windows7/Windows8 mixed environment, not sure if the 5 year old NAS would be the best way to go...

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
I don't believe you can run the later synology dsm software on any "9" models....

Might be worth checking 1st

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I don't believe you can run the later synology dsm software on any "9" models....

Might be worth checking 1st

It's true. That "9" series model will be stuck on DSM 4.2 forever. DSM 4.3 is the current version, and 5.0 is in beta. If it were me, I'd get a "12" or "13" series at least. You might find a used DS212j for around $125 or a new DS213j for $200.

If it's your first NAS, you may be in for a surprise: not enough space. Whatever number of disk slots you think you need now, you'll soon wish that you had more. Consider a four bay NAS if you think that two bays should be enough. It's not a critical decision since the resale value of used Synology boxes is surprisingly good given that they do not transfer warranties, but it's still worth thinking about before you make a purchase.

Marty007

Feb 28, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks to you both for this, I am pretty new to NAS enclosures, almost afraid to admin that I have a mediasonic backing up my files...

Will keep looking around, I wasn't sure about the capacity as well.

Great site, great people!

Status
Not open for further replies.