Looking for Switch Vendor with proper VLAN features

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Scampicfx

May 6, 2017
Hey guys,
In my setup I have installed a couple of netgear switches.
However, while testing VLAN functionality at client side, it was possible to capture the traffic transmitted on a neighbour VLAN. I forwarded this issue to Netgear. They told that they are aware of this issue and my switch is only intended for home office / small business deployment and therefore is lacking of the features which tightens the security of VLANs.

Allright, so I'm looking for a switch that does a good job regarding VLAN. I need to have easy configurable VLANs who are properly secured once configured.

Do you have any recommendations? 1 Gbit/s is sufficient. 10 Gbit/s is optional. Redundant power supply is optional. Ports: 16-32 RJ45 slots.

Scampicfx

May 6, 2017
Thanks for your answers so far. Alright, I noted Brocade on my todo list... are there any other models you could recommend?
How is Brocade in comparison to Cisco, Juniper, etc.? As mentioned, my only item which needs to be fullfilled is secure VLANs.

I had to search a while. When I see it correctly, the affected Netgear switch was JGS524Ev2 .

dreamsin

Oct 31, 2018
I'm also on the hunt for a good fanless 24 port L2 switch.
Cisco and Brocade... etc look too power hungry and the learning curve looks a bit steep.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
How is Brocade in comparison to Cisco, Juniper, etc.? As mentioned, my only item which needs to be fullfilled is secure VLANs.
Brocades are much more "homelab" friendly because you're able to get FW updates w/out a service contract. You just need to register on their support website. Their products offer enterprise-level features. Newer switches like the 7000-series have VLAN configuration more in line with "traditional" (Juniper excepted) ways of doing things.

Then we have @fohdeesha who is hell bent helping everyone under the sun posting to this site if they have network issues, especially with regards to Brocade (VDX line excepted) hardware.

Reactions: fohdeesha