Looking For Suggestions on Server Upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lmnewey

Aug 11, 2020
Good morning STH, I'm chasing some advice on some changes I'd like to make to my current home system

I'm currently running the following LAB server
MainBoard: super micro X9DR3-F
CPU's: 2x E5-2670@2.6ghz
Memory: DDR3 ECC 256gb in 16 Dimms
Nic1: HP NC523SFP 2-Port 10Gb
Nic2: Mallanox ConnectX-2 1port 10Gb
Storage: 16 Disk array attached to sas 2116 meteor
Storage Software: Windows Storage Spaces Direct

TLDR:
I would like to upgrade the above to maintain or improve the NIC through put. but add a GPU, at least 4x NVME drives and more storage and potentially double the ram

At this stage the old spinning rust is getting a bit slow, although i have 12x 4tb Disks with 4x 128GB SSD's for Cache this is simply not cutting it any more. In addition to that the PCI-e Bifurcation option in the bios does not seem to work, so although i bought the Asus Hyper-x quad NVME adapter it did not work in this main board (only shows a single NVME drive).

I'd like to get a bigger server that can hold more PCI-e Devices so i can add the NVME i bought and more ram. As it stands at IDLE the server is consuming %60 ram while only running Hyper-2019 with a standalone instance of storage spaces direct and a VM for freenas (this is used to hand out iscsi luns and works a lot better than windows in my experience. it has 32gb static assigne but dynamic to 128GB all on its own) a VM for Blue IRIS for video surveillance (we have 24 cameras running in to this, which i think is the source of my IO issues on the old disks), VM for plex, a couple of VM's for ROS development and a couple of VM's for private WOW servers for the kids. Sometimes i use nested virtualization for testing too when i want to try ESX stuff.

I'd consider changing to quad CPU but that's a bit of a stretch.

My case is also a problem since this server is actually embedded in a cupboard in my laundry. it was a chopped up super micro i believe to begin with but its now just parts screwed to two sliders and .... its pretty rough.

My partner and i are building a shed where i can install a full height/depth rack where noise will not be an issue, so i guess what i would like to do is may expand the disk array to a 20 disk or larger and a larger main board that can hold more ram (I'm happy with ddr3 ecc as its cost effective) with working bifurcation and some room to add a GPU (i saw some 24gb tesla's on ebay for around $400 USD)

In addition my current mainboard will not pass through discrete PCI-E devices. which is really frustrating as i would like to run YOLO against my video feeds (thats why im eye balling that tesla) so that would be a bonus.