Looking for suggestions on nvme/SAS/SATA rackmount chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

toomuchstuff

Nov 4, 2013
I currently have an SC846 from the X8 days w/ a TQ backplane. Hasn't really given me troubles w/ the m1015 and no real speed issues. Recently I upgraded boards to an asrock epycd8-2t and swapped out the m1015s with a few sas3008 LSI 9300s. As expected I'm seeing a lot higher throughput, but also some of the backplane appears to be giving me issues. It could be cables, but I swapped them and tried different controllers so I'm at the point where a new chassis sounds like the way to go.

What I'm after is any recommendations on a chassis that will work with the board, preferably with the pmbus and fan controller. Right now the SC846 cycles the fans bad because the board appears to want 6 pin fans.
Also, I figure it is time to move past the DC S3500s and into nvme territory. The board has 2 oculink connectors and all my cards support SAS 12G.

So tl;dr is does anybody know of a 3/4U chassis that supports both SAS3 and nvme drives. Oculink support would be a bonus if those are even in general chassis at this time.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Supermicro doesn't really sell any chassis with NVMe support outside of fully assembled systems unfortunately. If you can live without hot-swap bays, you can mount 4 x 2.5" NVMe drives in an 846 chassis. If you're using SAS hard drives instead of SSDs, there's really no benefit going to SAS3 over SAS2.

toomuchstuff

Nov 4, 2013
That's kind of what I was seeing on the SM front as well. Really I'm open to whatever manufacturer, but I'm sure this is another niche case. In the meantime I'll look into a SAS3 expander backplane or some sort of fix for the 846. I'm pretty much running SSDs, but there are some 3.5" drives in there. Support I could just jam the 3.5"s in a JBOD enclosure and go full 2.5.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
In the end I just decided to keep what I've got. Replaced the backplane with the SAS3 expander model and used a known working controller. Looks like I had both a controller issue and the backplane was toast.

I did find this neat 2U SM chassis SC216BE1C4-R1K23LPB | 2U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.. 4xNVME w/ 20 2.5" SAS3 drives. Still thinking about it...
$1300 though (I've not seen one on eBay). For less you can pick up a whole barebone with better IO if you don't mind used.