Looking for some community help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey STH community,

Looking for a bit of help here primarily because I got home late last night and I woke up at 3AM so I am not at my normal functional level.

The TL;DR ask: Has anyone seen an organization that is doing in-depth server management comparisons?

Monday I was hiking the Pacaya volcano in Guatemala. It was an awesome experience as I never thought I would get that close to smoking lava rock just jettisoned from an active volcano. During the hike, I was thinking about some content ideas. One that I had was centered around doing some in-depth work with server management interfaces.

Just looking around the lab, and what is inbound, we have the following vendors represented:
  • Dell EMC
  • HPE
  • Lenovo
  • Supermicro
  • Intel
  • Inspur
  • Cisco UCS
  • Gigabyte
  • Tyan
That is a fairly good chunk of the x86 server landscape. Many we have both Intel Xeon Scalable as well as AMD EPYC platforms.

An idea I had was around creating an in-depth buyer's guide for IMPI/iDRAC/iLO and etc. management. I think this is something that will take a lot of time to do, and it may require hiring someone full-time or near full-time for a few months. As a result, I do not think the small bit we get in advertising revenue per piece will cover the content creation costs.

The model may end up being a free overview piece on STH, then a paid downloadable report or reports comparing the solutions.

My sense is that this is a valuable activity, so I am willing to invest in it. Doing a bit of research today I did not find anything online that is trying to do a similar comparison.

Has anyone come across something like this? If there is an organization out there doing a good job at creating similar content, then that will change my outlook on investing.

A bigger value is being able to go up-market and doing the infrastructure management tools, but there seems to be more content on that aspect.

Reactions: eva2000

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I have not seen a side by side comparison on the management side either, at least in normal online and formerly print publications.
The most I recall is system under test vs DRAC or iLO as a common reference point. There may be a comparison out there in the paid-content world but never looked.
Possibly include it as part of Demo Eval subscriptions like a light review the management interfaces out there but keep it up to date as the vendors release changes?

Reactions: Patrick

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Have done it with upto 4 vendors internally based on those 4 vendors being narrowed down already by other creiteria.

I am not sure if the value is huge as I was under the impression for the most part the server management was similar ??

Yes I know a Dell is different from a Cisco or HPE or Supermicro but they generally are all providing similar functions (some have license that costs $$ though)

Right now just trying to think who would be paying for this.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
I've created a piece of software that controls the entire data center via ipmi, you can startup and shutdown, and poll ipmi commands and such . It was a WIP when I left sadly...

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
So my sense of this is that the choice of server management is pretty much irrelevant. Organisations almost always have exclusive contracts with vendors - and that means that all the servers are HP or Dell or others - and which management platform is better never enters into discussion. It just can't really drive anything - unfortunately the choice of server management isn't independent, which would make a report like this more useful. The level of integration required is such that I suspect you'll never be able to plug an iDRAC into a SuperMicro server (or there'd be a vendor offering a kit like Compaq's original remote management cards).