Looking for short HBA card (not meaning low or high profile)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i have silverstone case ds380

i want to use all 8 external bays.
right now i have highpoint 2720sgl hba card.

this card is very short, the length is about 9,5cm (nine and half cm).
but i dont like the card, because:
- i can't read S.M.A.R.T. data with Gsmartcontr, CrystalDiskInfo.
only program that can read S.M.A.R.T. is hd sentinel.

- i get lots of errors when i want to open files. tried many different types of files, different sizes, etc etc. while hd sentinel tells no any error.

no, my hdd are okay, they are hgst enterprise grade. tried in another computer where i can open my files without any error

so my question is:

does anyone know a short hba card (with 8 hdd support) that can fit is DS380, without suffering the 3rd external bay?

low-profile or high-profile is not important.

stamasd

May 30, 2020
The IBM H1110 is very short, but it only supports 4 drives.

On the other hand, it's only using a PCIex4 connector, so if you have 2 of those available you could use 2 cards.
Or you could use a SAS expander - which does not necessarily have to go inside the case. Or it can go inside the case, but not necessarily in a slot (uses the PCIe connector only for power, so you could use a riser/extender cable to power it up).
Depends on your motherboard and configuration.

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
silverst;ne ds380 is mini-itx case. all mini-itx boards have just one pic-e slot. so i really need a short card for 8 sata hdd.

but....i have dell h200 hba, which fits (with modification on black color drive slide) in my case

stamasd

May 30, 2020
Oh, ok. I think otherwise, a H1110 with a SAS expander would work as well, because the expander doesn't need to be inserted in a slot - I use one outside of any case, powered through one of these thingies:

It only needs power connected to it.