EU Looking for server box filling like Polyethylene

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Looking for some form of packaging to ship around 50 x 1u server, one per box.

I already have the boxes for them, just looking for shock proof solutions.

If anyone has lots of spare to sell or another idea, it would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I had a r410 shipped to me where it was just wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap and put inside a doubled walled box. It didn't have any movement inside the box and arrived in one piece. I bet you could do the same depending on your box.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Honestly, thats a great idea. It crossed my mind but i just never really considered it.

Thanks

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Two layers of bubbly wrap, small bubbles on the inside, larger on the outside. Pack with some popcorn to remove any slop in the box :)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Honestly, thats a great idea. It crossed my mind but i just never really considered it.

Thanks
I wouldn't have thought it would have worked either as I used to have an auto parts distribution business where I shipped radiators that were sometimes larger than a 1u server, but lighter. My initial thinking when I opened the box was that this heavy server would have popped all the bubbles--but it didn't. It was wrapped and taped and I think the idea above of using a layer of small bubble wrap first on the server itself and then two layers of big bubbles would be perfect, especially with some filling.

What I learned while spending thousands a month with UPS shipping hundreds of parts was that movement is the enemy--if you can keep your part from moving, you're winning half the battle. Now, of course servers are relatively delicate parts so you need to also have something that can absorb stock, and bubble wrap fits the bill quite nicely if you use enough of it.

Hope this helps, and if you want to share some pics of your server being packed, I'll give you some feedback on any potential weak areas I spot.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Got some double walled boxes for around 1 euro per box which was very cheap imo. They are very strong and fit the servers exactly, leaving 10cm or a little more for filling material. Bubble plastic will do fine, will fill up the rest with hard peanuts and i also have tons of scrap cardboard as well.

Im sure this will be fine = ) i pack a lot of items, i just didn't think simple enough.

Thanks

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Two layers of bubbly wrap, small bubbles on the inside, larger on the outside. Pack with some popcorn to remove any slop in the box :)
This is how I got a supermicro 2u and it was completely undamaged. But use thick bubble wrap with big bubbles.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yeah I have used bubble wrap on servers for local moves before, no issues. I didn’t tape it by you the movers cling film style wrapping over the bubble wrap and worked fine. Don’t see why inside a suitable box for long distance shipping that wouldn’t work well.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Got some double walled boxes for around 1 euro per box which was very cheap imo. They are very strong and fit the servers exactly, leaving 10cm or a little more for filling material. Bubble plastic will do fine, will fill up the rest with hard peanuts and i also have tons of scrap cardboard as well.

Im sure this will be fine = ) i pack a lot of items, i just didn't think simple enough.

Thanks
Oh, that's awesome. If you can, layer some card board in between the big bubble wrap layers, especially on the edges and corners. That would provide a pretty strong secondary support in case of serious impact.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I didn’t tape it by you the movers cling film style wrapping over the bubble wrap and worked fine.
I forgot about that stuff--it's really great for stuffing empty spaces since it compresses but still has air so it acts the same as a soft foam cushion. We used to save off the pallets we'd order each week just for this purpose.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Just ordered a bunch of bubble wrap diffrent sizes from mypack24. Really great prices. This puts the packaging total at 2-3 euro per server and that's great for 50 servers.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Good stuff. So when are you going to list the servers for sale? Now I'm wondering what we've been helping you pack, lol.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
For these forums its not good enough. 400 per server is easy on eBay but thats not the best price here. If you need anything though you can pm and i'll have a deal for you or atleast some advice.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
For these forums its not good enough. 400 per server is easy on eBay but thats not the best price here. If you need anything though you can pm and i'll have a deal for you or atleast some advice.
I know...there's things here I could only dream about. Even these are out of my range. I'll just grab a server when it's better bang for buck than a desktop.