Looking for rack suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I'm thinking about starting using rack-mounted stuff. Will start with router, but server might be next.

What is available? Need something budget, smaller size..

katit

Mar 18, 2015
No suggestions? :) I will try to ask this differently. I have one full size (large) SUN rack at home. But I use shelfs and it's not really holding rack-equipment. I use shelfs for all kind of stuff. DVR, modem, router, desktop server, UPS.

I need some way to organize equipment in an office. It will be router (1U), and in future - server. Most likely we will never need any SAN or NAS (we don't have much data).

Realistically, is 9U enclosure big enough for the small business? How big is a server enclosure? 2U or bigger?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've been on the look out for some 12-24U racks to possibly replace my full-size unit at home too, with 2 or 3 racks I can place them better in my mini-DC, and use the space under for storage/etc... There's been some on ebay.

It's hard to pay for a mini-rack what I paid for my full size.

In CA you can get full-size racks dirt cheap. I got a near-new APC full-size $1900 retail rack for 250 or 300 (I forget), it came with a PDU, keyboard+monitor 1U, 1 full size shelf, 1 half shelf, and misc hardware. I've seen $2k UPS go for $200 because no one uses 220v at home (well, not most). Another thing for deals is 3-phase stuff :) No1 uses it unless you know what you're doing, and then it's not that bad. I'm not sure about electronics like PC stuff but for tools it's dead-simple, and cheap to make your own. Both my lathe, and mill are 3phase with a single inverter that came with them, works fine and they both have DROs so there are def. some old school PC/electronics going on.

That SM 14U looks perfect! There are some deals on ebay for various small racks but not like full-size and unless your local there are 0 deals on heavy items.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I wasnt even able to find price of that SM rack. It's out of stock everywhere

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I wasnt even able to find price of that SM rack. It's out of stock everywhere
Darn!

Was hoping they were going cheap.

I debated throwing some angle on the mill busting out the welder and making my own sized rack uniquely placed where I wanted it in my home mini-DC then realized I have too much catching up to do for such fun projects... lol

Last edited:

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Here in STL there is a lot of full size racks available too. And very affordable. But they are too big and too heavy for what I need

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Yeah the SM 14U rack is pretty awesome. Last time I got a quote for it they wanted over 1000$ CAD for it (few years ago). Don't see it listed many places any more.

I have a Startech 25U rack (4POSTRACK25), its pretty plain but does the job. and was reasonably cheap. On the other hand it is really too big and most of it sits empty (not enough cooling in my place to fill it). They make a 12U version and a 15U enclosed one (somewhat pricey), which is closer to what you are looking for.

Definitely look local. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and find a Netshelter CX 12U for dirt cheap.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
How deep of a rack do I need? I don't know about server dimensions. I know all the switches, routers, etc pretty small. But what is the "regular" 2U server depth?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Depends on what chassis you use :)

The common home server chassis the SM 846 is 26" deep.

Common 2U that can take desktop-style PSU is 19" deep.

My 8 node SM is 23"
My 4 node SM is 29"

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Ok. So, if I want to get something that will fit server - I do need 33 inch rack.