Looking for input/advice on my server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

purplegreendave

Mar 22, 2020
First post on this forum, hopefully it's the correct section.

I have a HP ML350 G6 tower server in my basement. It's running Win10 Pro and handles Plex, Sonarr/Radarr/SABnzbd. 1x E5645, 8GB RAM. 1TB HDD for OS & Apps, 1x 6TB HDD for Media Storage.

I'm coming up to a point where my 6TB is filling up. Probably within the next 6-8 weeks I'll need to install a new one, so I figure this is as good a time as any to take a step back and decide whether to change my hardware/software setup or just add another drive and keep going.

Here's the documentation for the server: https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1022988121.pdf

I had a read it before purchasing the system and, not knowing any better, thought the 6 SATA connectors on the mobo would be more than enough for my drives. Well they're severely hobbled - I'm only getting SATA I or II speeds. I guess they were intended for Optical Drives only (who tf needs 6 ODDs).

I could hook up another HDD to the SATA ports and continue with the setup I have although I'm out of SATA power cables so I would need a SATA splitter which I'm wary of.

I'm looking into getting an LFF cage and a SAS HBA card but I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

I could get the LFF cage/backplane (ebay example) and an SAS HBA card (ebay example)

Then move all my disks to the cage and have better cable management and hopefully speed?

Alternatively I could just buy/build another system. At some point throwing money at this machine will have diminishing returns but right now the cost of an entire new system isn't in my budget.

Thanks for reading,
Dave

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I don't see how SATA II is going to be a limiting factor for your setup (even SATA I, but that's much older than your server). Your hard drives are going to be slower than the interface.

Given the fact that your server is now over 10 years old, I personally wouldn't be sinking any money into it for proprietary components.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I had a read it before purchasing the system and, not knowing any better, thought the 6 SATA connectors on the mobo would be more than enough for my drives. Well they're severely hobbled - I'm only getting SATA I or II speeds. I guess they were intended for Optical Drives only (who tf needs 6 ODDs).
Just for clarification, all those SATA ports weren't for optical drives, and they weren't hobbled. At least not intentionally. The Intel 5520 Tylersberg WS Chipset on your motherboard was only capable of SATA 1 & II. Onboard SATA for any Intel chipset computer of that generation will only be able to do SATA I & II. As @BlueFox notes, its getting on in years.

purplegreendave

Mar 22, 2020
The Intel 5520 Tylersberg WS Chipset on your motherboard was only capable of SATA 1 & II.
My mistake. Another forum post told me that was the case. Either way it meant adding an SSD would be pretty much pointless as a performance upgrade.

Given the fact that your server is now over 10 years old, I personally wouldn't be sinking any money into it for proprietary components.
This was something I was wrestling with in my head. However I happened across an eBay seller who has sold me the LFF cage and a Dell H200 flashed to IT for $80 Canadian (roughly $55 US). That amount wouldn't have put a dent in a new system so provided I can get it all working I have power and connectivity for more 3.5 drives than before which was my end goal this week.