Looking for home media system suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

turgin

May 16, 2016
Seeking advice and opinions on set top box, frontend software, and backend software combinations to provide typical DVR functionality as well as Netflix, Amazon, and local content streaming for 5 TVs. Wife Approval Factor is of paramount importance of course.

I'd like any backend services to run as VMs on my "production" ESXi/FreeNAS AIO. CPU is an Intel E5-2650 8c/16t @ 2 GHz with 64 GB RAM. I have another AIO where my other media is stored. I have wired gigabit connectivity to every room as well as good 802.11 a/b/g/n coverage throughout.

Tuners will be 2 or 3 HDHomeRun Prime boxes if they ever come back in stock.

What I'm thinking right now is to use Roku devices for set top boxes since that will easily give me the Netflix and Amazon streaming as well as the streaming channels from major networks. Then, use the available Emby app to connect to some media server for the DVR and live TV functionality.

I also have considered Raspberry Pi's running Kodi for the set top boxes but it doesn't look like the Netflix and other internet streaming content plays well on it.

I don't mind spending time trying out and configuring the different components since this is a hobby and the journey is fun in and of itself. I just don't want to waste money buying parts I end up not liking or using.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I prefer Plex as the front/backend get plexpass and it integrates with your HDHomeRun for DVR. Personally I like the Amazon FireTV interface over the Roku interface but either will work for the apps listed. Roku does give you access to a larger number of apps. Plex runs on everything and allows remote access too.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
+1 for Firetv box. Plus over other android boxes is that integrates with most home automation system.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I use Nvidia Shield front ends, which run Emby + Kodi for my local content. Subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon Prime (with others available on the platform). I recently got a subscription to Playstation Vue to replace DirecTV. We get locals here on PS Vue, but I'm still considering getting an HDTV antenna and going NextPVR+HDHomeRun for DVR with local storage as one of those "for the hell of it" projects.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Using Plex + Roku here for most of it currently. Haven't bought any of the HDHomeRun's yet to enable the DVR functionality within Plex.

For the DVR functionality, you could also look at Tablo or SimpleTV....both have apps/channels for various set top setups.

turgin

May 16, 2016
Thanks for the replies so far. I hadn't considered the Nvidia product but will look into it. I think I may pick up a Fire TV when they come back in stock and a Roku both to try the differences for myself.

Speaking of back in stock...what the heck is up? When I finally convince the wife I need to build our own DVR system and quit renting cable boxes and being stuck with what they offer the HDHomeRun Prime AND the Fire TV are unavailable?!?

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for the replies so far. I hadn't considered the Nvidia product but will look into it. I think I may pick up a Fire TV when they come back in stock and a Roku both to try the differences for myself.
The Shield is a bit more expensive ($199) than the other options you listed, but it's pretty kick ass in terms of quality and performance - it's going to blow those others out of the water. It has good storage expansion capabilities with USB and MicroSD ports. Also has a Gb ethernet port, bluetooth, quality remote/game controller with voice search and headphone port. It has good gaming capabilities native Android, local streaming from a 970/980/1070/1080/ti, and cloud gaming.

The one drawback I can think of is that it's Android TV, so sometimes streaming services are slow to release their clients on it. Amazon Prime took a while, but has been out for a while. DirecTV has not released client for it, neither for traditional or their DirecTV Now service, but it's in Nvidia's best interest to work with content providers to get their software released for it. Nvidia also does a very nice job of releasing updates for it every couple of months.

For years I ran Windows-based HTPCs, including a HDHomeRun Prime w/CableCard setup and the Ceton Echo extenders. I have replaced all of them with Nvidia Shields - I have three currently and will add at least one more to the home. by comparison to HTPCs, they are cheaper, much more power efficient, smaller profile, and nicer looking. No endless hours of tweaking software or customizing remote profiles. All of the subscription streaming, OTT Television service, and my local ripped content available from within a single remote driven interface.

The only thing they can't do is MadVR/LAV ... I have a media room with a 113" screen/projector combo, so at some point I may revisit the HTPC for that, but otherwise the Nvidia shield is a perfect fit.