Looking for HBA controller recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

randop

Jan 1, 2012
Looking to upgrade my FreeNAS 8 system and replace Adaptec 2610SA 6 port SATA Raid Controller Card and switch to ZFS with a RAIDZ. Need to purchase PCI controller (5 ports or more) and will appreciate any suggestion for reliable and simple HBA controller (my mobo is MCP6P M2+ with PCI and PCI-Express x16 slots).

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
IBM M1015 flashed to the IT firmware. Easy to do and they're ~$70 for 8 ports + two SFF-8087->sata cables. There's a ton of info on them both on here (check Patrick's articles on the main site), [H] and on the internet in general. We've got three in our ZFS server and they're just peachy.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Haha, I was sitting here doing something else when I had the sudden lightbulb moment that I had credited the wrong person with those articles so I've just come back to fix it in the hope that you hadn't seen it ;) Whoops! My bad! Good articles ;)

Yip the M1015 is pretty unbeatable in IT mode for ZFS
Check out MY (sotech ;)) articles over here, part1, part II and part III

I still need to do a write up on the Flashing procedure to IT, IR and 9240 modes.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I even stuck a big credit paragraph at the beginning of each of those!!! :)