Looking for - "Grafana" for relational data

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I am looking for better visualization of my fio results.
I have a script that runs those fully automated (currently on TNC) and tests various pool layouts and relevant parameters..

As you can imagine this produces a *lot* of data and i am sick of always building some excel chart... and i am not keen on creating an excel template either.

So I was looking for tools that can visualize data in a nice fashion - basically similar to Grafana but for relational data since fio results are just not time based;) (on a sidenote, i considered putting runtime info [cpu load, iostat etc] in a time based database, but was too lazy for now).

I ended up with Re-Dash since it can be run self hosted, is free and supported a lot of databases (I ended up with postgresql). But in the end the visualization options basically suck compared to Grafana - way to little flexibility

Thats about the best i was able to do, and i needed to prefilter this already (where testtype='write'and slogoption='none' and sync='disabled' and bs='64K';)

1649787447134.png

so long story, but basically i am not happy with ReDash (despite spending 2 days to find a stupid working DB) and am looking for alternatives...

Happy to provide a sample set if you need it (240 columns;))

Thanks

Edit - just in case it was not clear - free for home use is a must, self hosted as well {I know, limiting choices}

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Metabase is at least more flexible... but not really sexy... Java based, local jar to run...

1649796074775.png

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I use grafana@work for visualizing relational dbs, but will admit that I can't always figure out getting time to work properly, sometimes it is just a top query...
Currently fighting with a db that puts the timedata into excel float format. The grafana sql tool is pretty bad, I end up using a combination of that and azure data studio to get the query working, then massage back into grafana.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have seen the trick to use now() as time, but that didnt work as expected for me, at least not for a single datapoint.

Any pointers how you do it?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I need to look at specifics. This is one dashboard, the data is somewhat time series, it gives a new row when events happen. In this case I have a datetimefield I can use for x, and then pull the 3 values using 3 identical queries.
SQL:
SELECT  $__timeEpoch(start),

(Max0-Min0) as Delta0
   FROM
  data
WHERE
  $__timeFilter(start)
ORDER BY
  start asc
1649857419664.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
hm i could o/c add a dummy datetime entry in the results, but thats similar to now() in the end.
Maybe need to give it another try with more data.

Wanted to look at ZoHo Analytics next....

Edit:
So, not bad - has a lot of flexibility, but also some boundaries i found (max elements to chart), still need to play around more...
1649873647181.png

Edit 2 - Oh man, they have weird requirements for chart types like " you have to drop Category (String/Date data type) value in 1 axis and Numeric (aggregate functions like sum, min, max, etc) value in another axis. If the above said condition is not met, the icon for bar chart will be grayed out. "

That means I am stuck with line charts :/

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I haven't tried anything with 3d visualization, I know there used to be a plugin that worked but I think it is dead.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think i will settle for ZoHo... unless i give Excel another try, maybe with database backend its more usable...

1650480665038.png

Reactions: T_Minus

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Can't you just work with 'R' (RStudio Server)) and your PostgreSQL db's? Then get R-Gallery and produce some nice 3d charts. It should be also possible to work with Python together with your db's. I mean that's what data scientists work with. Then you can also create nice charts from Python.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I *can* work with everything, in the end i have all the fio data in a hash and can dump it any way i need.
I was just looking for something quick and simple and was not expecting the options to be so ... limited ;)

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
You can do it with Kibana, alternatively you can use Grafana free-form charts which lets you use arbitrary X and Y axis data.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I don't have the source for the dashboard but it looked like it wasn't using any plugin, just a static SQL NOW() as a series replacement and then simply an axis configuration that doesn't contain time. It was a standard 'panel' with a standard 'datasource'.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
ah.
I had tried the now() trick, that didnt work to well for me... but maybe i've been doing it wrong when i think about it.
Will have another look at this, thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I saw there is a sql plugin for Grafana now... maybe I'll try that one day