Looking for blu ray drive for Supermicro 2U chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
I am a noob in this area (I'm a software guy) and I am grateful for the help whenever I can get it. Thanks!

Earlier this year I purchased a Supermicro server in a 2U chassis with SATA ports. It has a dvd drive on the front - can I replace this with a slim blu ray burner? I've googled it and haven't come up with much.

Tr3s

Oct 23, 2019
If it fits, yes. If the DVD is sata and the slim Blu-ray drive fits, it should work. But realize adding a Blu-ray drive to a computer really only gets you the ability to burn/read data blurays. You won't be able to watch movies because of the copy right protection on them. It's not like DVDs...

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
If it fits, yes. If the DVD is sata and the slim Blu-ray drive fits, it should work. But realize adding a Blu-ray drive to a computer really only gets you the ability to burn/read data blurays. You won't be able to watch movies because of the copy right protection on them. It's not like DVDs...
Thanks so much for the reply. Yup, well aware of the limitations of ripping. I have all of my 3d movies on disk - rather than ripping them to my movie drive I just want to surface them in kodi on the rare occasion that we want to watch them.

Tr3s

Oct 23, 2019
Thanks so much for the reply. Yup, well aware of the limitations of ripping. I have all of my 3d movies on disk - rather than ripping them to my movie drive I just want to surface them in kodi on the rare occasion that we want to watch them.
If you're not going to be using it as a permanent thing and are going to use it basically once you don't even need to worry about making it fit. Just pop the top off and wire it in. Set it ontop of something and don't bump it while it's spinning. Don't get me wrong getting the proper thing is better but if you already have an old Blu-ray play that would work but just doesn't fit, or if you can't find one that fits, that is a solution.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Most of the slim drives are pretty terrible.

Not as elegant but I'd personally look at a 5.25" USB 3.0 enclosure -- you pay less for the drive, and it becomes portable.
Then you can also get a UHD-friendly drive :)

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
Most of the slim drives are pretty terrible.

Not as elegant but I'd personally look at a 5.25" USB 3.0 enclosure -- you pay less for the drive, and it becomes portable.
Then you can also get a UHD-friendly drive :)
It's funny that you mention that because I was thinking of going in this general direction. I found a portable drive that has a SATA Port. I think I am going to just run a cable through the front of the server and put the portable drive next to the server in my closet.

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
So I brought the server down, installed the external LG drive via SATA and after I reboot Open Media Vault doesn't see it. Any ideas? I realize I might have to take this to another post.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Does the BIOS see the drive? Does it show up under any other OSes?

I'm not clear what the physical connection you're using is; do your SATA port (and the SATA -> BD drive bridge chip if you're using one) support ATAPI/SAT? That's usually needed for devices like DVD drives to work.

NotAServerGuy

Jun 16, 2019
Does the BIOS see the drive? Does it show up under any other OSes?

I'm not clear what the physical connection you're using is; do your SATA port (and the SATA -> BD drive bridge chip if you're using one) support ATAPI/SAT? That's usually needed for devices like DVD drives to work.
It is running headless now so I am going to have to drag out the monitor and watch it boot to find out. Every other drive in there (including a dvd drive) is SATA.