Looking for advice on 4TB NVME SSDs for workstation use.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
Intel provides fw update for their original drives, but you can't expect the same with Samsung or some other vendors since they don't even sell most of their enterprise series on retail channel. OEM firmwares are built on original fw with additional features and certifications, and the drives hardware are the same as retail ones, so there shouldn't be a problem, it all comes to the support for the firmware and the OS you use.

For HPE PM1725a, there is a HPS1 fw(with subversion B/C) which adds support for vmware7.0, SLES 15 SP1 and includes a fix:"Fix Increase the host PCIe completion time larger than default 50mS".

Last edited:

Ixess

Jun 11, 2020
Hi,
any news on this topic?
Possible to falsh to Dell or HP?
i need minumum firmware version GPNA5B3Q on this drives
Best regards
Alex

Don.key

Apr 10, 2020
Hi,
any news on this topic?
Possible to falsh to Dell or HP?
i need minumum firmware version GPNA5B3Q on this drives
Best regards
Alex
Nope, I have also tried with nvme cli and the drives will not take any OEM firmware (I have tried dell, hp and oracle fw) with error 107 when attempting to activate downloaded firmware.

I am sure this could be fixed by hacking though. Firmware files seem to have their specs in the beginning of the binary.

LikesChoco

Apr 23, 2020
For those who asked. I got them from mydigitaldiscount. Updated firmware is not a problem. Just can't install it. I was going to spend time and change the pci vender and id fields in a text file that an updater appears to use but I never got around to it. I was hoping that might - might allow the flash utility to uprade the firmware. But haven't spent time on it and not sure if I will. :/ It sounds like Don.key got further than I did and the image won't load [easily? yet?].

Doug @ mydigitaldiscount said the drives came from an HP installation. (The firmware number appears to be the generic Samsung firmware number and not similar to HPE interestingly.)

rootpeer

Oct 19, 2019
Can you help me clear something out?

Is it that only the 1725a model has the bug or are all models (1725,1725a,1725b) affected?

Can you explain what the bugs are? Is it complete data loss or does the drive fail to function whatsoever?