Looking for a WAP Linux distribution and nic

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Hey all,

I am looking to consolidate my WAP into my esxi box, and wondering which distribution to go with. It needs to have basic WPA2, a MAC filter, and support reasonably fast 802.11ac but aside from that it really doesn't need much.

Any recommendations?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I would venture to guess that unless you intend to vt-D passthru a PCI wifi nic (if ESXi even supports this, they may, I've only done nics/hba's w/ vt-D and vSphere) to your Linux OS then you may be onto something. YEARS ago (10+) I used to be pretty deep into wifi hacking and made plenty a AP-mode (monitor mode) 'roll-your-own' Linux based AP's. Been too long since I have done it to suggest exact HW/distro's but I was able to find a slew of info on 'the net' 10+ years ago covering this topic (almost and overwhelming amt of info) so your best bet is back there.

Here LMGTFY :p hah j/k bud, good luck!

If it helps I was using orinoco/prism2/atheros based chipsets and I think there is dang good support for atheros to this day, trick it to ensure you get one that supports that lower level raw monitor mode that enables you to take radio in/out of AP mode.

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I suppose you can use OpenWRT.
They even provide KVM images, which you can probably convert to something that is supported by ESXi.

Reactions: Keljian