Looking for a UPS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Since power issues are becoming more of a looming threat on the horizon i'm looking into buying a UPS for my desktop so I can gracefully shut it down should the need arise.

Problem is: which one? I'll be powering two HP Z24i's, my main rig in sig, and when shit actually hits the fan it would be nice if I could charge my Toughbook at least once.

Are the super old APC units a good idea if I replace the batteries on them?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I'd recommend the Pure Sine UPS model for your desktop because of this:

You should know how many watts your current equipment draws and how long to expect it to stay in the event of power loss.
I don't expect it to be gaming for hours on a single charge but being able to Alt-F4 from my ChilloutVR or GTA V session and and then hit Alt-F4 again to shut down my system gracefully is enough.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Unpopular opinion: 1- or 3-phase Victron Multiplus II 5000, 14 kWh DYI batteries, 20 kWp or more TrinaSolar 390W panels on the roof, plus a few Victron SmartSolar chargers. The Multiplus can switch within 20ms, which should be enough to act as a "line interactive" UPS. So not an "online" UPS like beefy Eatons 9PX.

Problem: You will be the only one with the lights on. Your internet DSLAM or fiber distribution center will be powered-off many hours before you are affected as well. So no Quake 2 deathmatches in the meantime, only what you prepared in a RetroPi.

Just for graceful shutdown anything really, like a cheap+silent Eaton Ellipse Eco 1600. It's what I use.

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I got a used HP T1500 G4 UPS on eBay for under $80, like the one below. It's rebranded Eaton 5SC, a predecessor for Eaton 5P models.
It does pure-sine output, unlike the Ellipse Eco series.

Eatons use a special charging/discharge method to extend battery life significantly.
I bought mine back in March 2020, and it is still running on the batteries it came with (Ie: they were already used)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I got a used HP T1500 G4 UPS on eBay for under $80, like the one below. It's rebranded Eaton 5SC, a predecessor for Eaton 5P models.
It does pure-sine output, unlike the Ellipse Eco series.

Eatons use a special charging/discharge method to extend battery life significantly.
I bought mine back in March 2020, and it is still running on the batteries it came with (Ie: they were already used)
If you end up looking to buy new Costco has a CyberPower 1500 W sine wave desktop model for $180 (no membership required).
Ya'll are forgetting i'm in The Netherlands, 230V and Schuko plugs.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Unpopular opinion: 1- or 3-phase Victron Multiplus II 5000, 1-3 Seplos Mason 14 kWh DYI batteries, 20 kWp or more TrinaSolar 390W panels on the roof, plus a few Victron SmartSolar chargers to charge the Mason. The Multiplus can switch within 20ms, which should be enough to act as a "line interactive" UPS. So not an "online" UPS like beefy Eatons 9PX.

Problem: You will be the only one with the lights on. Your internet DSLAM or fiber distribution center will be powered-off many hours before you are affected as well. So no Quake 2 deathmatches in the meantime, only what you prepared in a RetroPi.

Just for graceful shutdown anything really, like a cheap+silent Eaton Ellipse Eco 1600. It's what I use.
There's a Ellipse Pro 1600 for €100 on Marktplaats with two new batteries. Tempting!

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Not saying it will happen to you, but there must a good reason why CyberPower is so much cheaper:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/m0yuri/_/gqauci3 From the same thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/m0yuri/_/gqbycls

Eh, I've seen the same types of user reviews for APC's desktop units. One of my own APC units just up and died for no obvious reason (no AC power issues, overload, etc.).

AFAICT, CyberPower's typical retail pricing for consumer-level devices (i.e., not Costco) is close to APC's.

D'oh, sorry, missed that.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
PCs, monitors and tvs should be able to use c13 to c14 cables to connect to ups
I use such a powerstrip to "convert" from the c13 of my ups to schuko :D
123.jpg
(Brennenstuhl 1156057128)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I went with the Eaton Ellipse Pro 1600. Batteries are just over a month old.

Let's just hope it isn't loud as hell, i'll be placing it on my subwoofer in the bedroom.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I'd recommend the Pure Sine UPS model for your desktop because of this:
I've got nothing but CyberPower simulated sine wave, and have no issues with either my servers (Supermicro rack mount chassis) or workstations (various machines with Seasonic power supplies).

presslab

Aug 1, 2022
I'm also a fan of CyberPower. A few years ago I brought up an issue with the firmware and they sent me a different model UPS for free. Currently I'm using a PR3000RT2U and it works fine and has good power consumption.

The APC units that I've had in the past just eat through the batteries.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I have received the Eaton UPS and it seems to work fine. I set UPS Companion to shutdown my system after 1 minute of mains failure.

HWiNFO unfortunately cannot read the power measurement though :(

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Does it read something or nothing at all?
HWiNFO can read at least the load on my Eaton Power Station 800.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
The only difference I see between our setups (aside from the UPS unit) is that I use the Eaton Personal Solution PAC, not the Eaton UPS Companion.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
lmfao you gotta be shitting me @Ralph_IT

I deleted Eaton UPS Companion and suddenly Windows sees the Ellipse Pro as a "laptop" battery.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Welp the UPS has proven it's worth tonight. A 1-second brownout was caught by the Ellipse Pro protecting my main rig. Awesome.

Reactions: i386