Looking for a SuperMicro Motherboard with OnBoard SAS2 Controller.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
So i am in the market for a SuperMicro Motherboard with SAS2 Controller, preferably for E5 CPU.
Better value for money, is scalable and adaptable to future hardware additions. I dont wanna go too crazy on the spending end for this board.
Please suggest.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
What version E5 CPU, also single or dual CPU
Thanks, I am open for that. I'll be connecting multiple combinations of 3U and 4U of 4-5 other SuperMicro motherboardless servers to this machine using a JBOD connector.
Hence i was open to anything that is not that power hungry and doesnt break the bank.
Most of the setup is for a media server (SnapRAID), personal webhosting, mail,dhcp server, and FreeNAS

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Thanks for your replies. this is much appreciated. Sent you a PM requesting more info.
But please be my guest if you have few more tips advising me to get the right board.the two options u mentioned..
X9 boards are E5 V1/V2 (SAS2)
X10 boards are E5 V3/V4 (SAS3)

I've been looking and couldnt find SAS2 on many pages i have been searching through on supermicro's mobo pages.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Posting the reply to your question here as well.
I am first planning to buy the motherboard then the cpu. I was told that everything revolves around the motherboard, as all the features first has to be choosen from the the board. I am open for any motherboard as of yet.
The chassis i have and i am planning to connect are..

24bay 4U Norco Chassis - Media Server : SnapRaid
36bay 4U SuperMicro Chassis SAS2 - Media Storage
16bay 3U SuperMicro Chassis SAS2 - FreeNAS
16bay 3U SuperMicro Chassis SAS2 - Media Server
24bay 4U SuperMicro Chassis SAS2 = Media Server

Planning to install ESXI, create couple of virtual machines, install debain for Webhosting and Mailserver on one of the VM's. Create a VM and Install Ubuntu and install apache, and deluge and use it as a seedbox for seeding 5000+ torrent files.
Create a VM and install Debian and SnapRAID for Media server.

Last edited:

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
You will want to go here

DP Xeon Motherboards | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Ignore the form factory of Proprietary as that means it needs a specific case. The cases that Socrates lists will accept the ATX/E-ATX boards and more than likely the EE-ATX which are the largest. In the HDD column you are looking for SAS, if it says 8 SAS 2/3 then it has an onboard lsi card. If you get into the older boards and it only says SAS then it is the old chipset that only takes 2TB or smaller drives. In the key features they normally list the model of the lsi card on the board.