Looking for a couple of 10Gb SFP+ ports - cheap and quiet !

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nom

Oct 5, 2015
Hi folks.
I'm want to introduce a couple of 10Gb SFP+ ports into my LAN, so I can connect two machines at 10Gb.
I've already got a pair of Mellanox 10Gb cards and a couple of unbranded 2m SFP+ to SFP+ cables for those two machines.

So far I've checked out TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ - affordable, and fanless (so silent) and works with any old SFP+ modules Amazon.com: TP-Link JetStream 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch with 4-10GE SFP+ Slots (T1700G-28TQ): Computers & Accessories
and MikroTik CRS210-8G-2S+IN Amazon.com: MikroTik CRS210-8G-2S+IN Cloud Router Switch: Computers & Accessories small and fanless, but contains a whole bunch of router complexity that I don't need.
And finally HPE Networking BTO JH018A#ABA 1420-24G-2SFP+ SWITCH Amazon.com: HPE Networking BTO JH018A#ABA 1420-24G-2SFP+ SWITCH: Computers & Accessories cheaper than the TP-Link, still fanless. Is this likely to have "Enterprise" issues such as requiring HP SFP+ modules etc. ?

Is there anything else I'm missing ?

I'm assuming all Switches of this nature will be able to operate the SFP+ ports as "normal" ports - or is there a possibility some switches offer SFP+ for uplink/stacking ONLY ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Most new switches don't have dedicated stacking ports, Cisco even specify some ports as uplink but are perfectly capable of using those ports as normal ports also.

Cisco 3650CX-8XPD is a full layer 3 fanless switch with 2 x sfp+ and 2 x 2.5/5/10g base-t and some POE capable 1G ports as well. Pricy pricy though.

Few options about but all have their issues or like the Cisco are $$

K D

Dec 24, 2016
ubiquiti edgeswitch 16-xg - Lower priced than most of the others, the latest firmware supposedly fixed most of the DAC compatibility issues. It is relatively quiet.

I have the unifi version and it works fine with Mellanox CX2/3 using some generic DACs that I got from ebay along with the cards as well as fs.com DACs. It still doesn't have the latest firmware as the edgeswitch version.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Just got around to looking at the HP switch wondering how I missed it in my search, it's only basic layer 2. I wanted atleast vlan tagging or layer 2+ type features.
Otherwise good power consumption, fanless, cheap, branded.

CobaltFire

Nov 7, 2015
I just picked up a Mikrotik CSS326. Fanless, 24GbE, 2 SFP+, has SwOS, which is simple but definately has VLAN tagging, etc. and basic management features. Might be what you are looking for, and it's $130 on amazon.

Nom

Oct 5, 2015
I just picked up a Mikrotik CSS326. Fanless, 24GbE, 2 SFP+, has SwOS, which is simple but definately has VLAN tagging, etc. and basic management features. Might be what you are looking for, and it's $130 on amazon.
Wowsers, that's massively cheaper than everything else I've looked at !
I've just ordered one. Thanks :D:D

Blade Runner

Dec 29, 2016
Fan noise is too loud for living room?

Roaming Builder

Roaming Builder
Apr 12, 2017
Iowa, USA
How are you liking the Mikrotik CSS326? I am looking at something like this in the future (after I get a few things sorted) and am in a situation very similar to you.

Nom

Oct 5, 2015
No problems at all. It's silent, and it boots in seconds. The firmware download is just 50KB !

I'm not using any features though, just a bunch of machines connected together, two using 10Gb TwinAx cables and the rest using normal 1Gb Ethernet.