Looking for 50m fiber cable that works with E10GSFPSR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I am doing some major work on my house and is going to re-wire with cat6e. However, I want to also connect my main workstation to my LB4M/LB6M switches. The final distance will be roughly 35-40m. I want to get a 50m cable just to have some slack on both sides. My question is, for the SFP+ modules I have, Intel E10GSFPSR, which cable will work for me?

So far I've found this:
50M LC-LC Duplex 9/125 Singlemode Fiber Optic Patch Cable Cord Jumper Yellow

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
My question is, for the SFP+ modules I have, Intel E10GSFPSR, which cable will work for me?

So far I've found this:
50M LC-LC Duplex 9/125 Singlemode Fiber Optic Patch Cable Cord Jumper Yellow
For SR optics, you want multimode fiber (50/125). This will normally be an aqua (pale blue-green) cable with beige connectors.

For LR optics you would use the type of patch cable you linked (yellow cable with blue connectors). Avoid the green connectors - the connectors are not compatible with the blue ones and will cause damage to both connectors.

Reactions: eroji

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Awesome, thanks for the guide!

Also, are there any inexpensive cable testers?

Last edited:

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
How will you be running this cable? It should be going through corrugated conduit (smurf tube). Run condut now and pull the cable after the project is done. Fiber that isn't designed to be in wall won't last the installation. Not to mention the conduit gives you a second chance if you break the fiber pulling it.

50M LC UPC to LC UPC 10G 50/125 OM3 Duplex Multimode Armored Fiber Optic Patch Cable - 3.0mm PVC Jacket | FS.COM

That cable should pull pretty easily as long as you use cable lube.

As far as optical cable testers there isn't anything cheap. Cheap copper cable testers are just about worthless.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I found a cheap visual tester. As for the cable, it will installed in conduit.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I found a cheap visual tester
You do know a visual fault finder is just a red laser that allows you to physically see a break in the fiber right? Not that it's useless or anything, it'll let you know if light is making it all the way through the fiber and if you broke the end pulling. It doesn't really fall under the definition of "cable tester".

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Yes I understand. For the price of the cable and the fact that I will probably be pulling the fiber cable only once or twice, it should suffice.