looking for 24 port fan-less cisco fast ethernet switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
dude just get a water cooling kit, no chance in having a 10gbe uplink without active cooling

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
You just want Cisco. Then why don't you ask Cisco?

Also, these switches are ancient and only do fast ethernet.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I was thinking the less power used by fibre would allow a lower power profile. BASE-T causes a lot of heat.

what's with cisco? For such a low end switch , I doubt it would matter. I'm super happy with my net gear!

Cisco used to be elite but man look at their stock. Speaks volumes. Flopped on all consumer products big time. Flopping on their core competency - see their recent stock pricing.

cisco pro-sumer/smb parts are just that - junk.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I was thinking the less power used by fibre would allow a lower power profile. BASE-T causes a lot of heat.

what's with cisco? For such a low end switch , I doubt it would matter. I'm super happy with my net gear!

Cisco used to be elite but man look at their stock. Speaks volumes. Flopped on all consumer products big time. Flopping on their core competency - see their recent stock pricing.

cisco pro-sumer/smb parts are just that - junk.

Cisco because most companies use cisco and having cisco knowledge is a plus in getting jobs. The employers are the one to blame here not me.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
After realizing Cisco calls their backdoors "Lawful Intercepts", I've been stay away from anything that has a Cisco logo on it.

Lawful Intercept Configuration Guide - Lawful Intercept Overview  [Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
Lawful Intercept Processing

After acquiring a court order or warrant to perform surveillance, the LEA delivers a surveillance request to the target's service provider. Service provider personnel use an administration function that runs on the mediation device to configure a lawful intercept to monitor the target's electronic traffic for a specific period of time (as defined in the court order).

After the intercept is configured, user intervention is no longer required. The administration function communicates with other network devices to set up and execute the lawful intercept. The following sequence of events occurs during a lawful intercept:

1. The administration function contacts the ID IAP for intercept-related information (IRI), such as the target's username and the IP address of the system, to determine which content IAP (Catalyst 6500 series switch) the target's traffic passes through.

2. After identifying the Catalyst 6500 series switch that handles the target's traffic, the administration function sends SNMPv3 get and set requests to the Catalyst 6500 series switch's Management Information Base (MIB) to set up and activate the lawful intercept. The CISCO-TAP2-MIB is the supported lawful intercept MIB to provide per-subscriber intercepts.

3. During the lawful intercept, the Catalyst 6500 series switch:

a. Examines incoming and outgoing traffic and intercepts any traffic that matches the specifications of the lawful intercept request.

b. Creates a copy of the intercepted traffic and forwards the original traffic to its destination so the target does not suspect anything.

c. Encapsulates the intercepted traffic in UDP packets and forwards the packets to the mediation device without the target's knowledge.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think you'll find that ALL switch suppliers that sell anything to any US based ISP, Telco or other common carrier have support for LI in their products. Cisco, Juniper, HP, Arista, and all others.

The law is call CALEA, or Carrier Assistance for Law Enforcement. Its been a fact of life for carriers since 1994 (thank you Bill Clinton). It has nothing to do with the Patriot Act or NSA or anything else - it supports warrant based taps related to criminal investigations and was justified mainly to help the FBI deal with organized crime. And it applies to all common carriers in the USA and any equipment supplier that sells to them.

If you aren't going to buy from a company because they have a feature called "Lawful Intercept" then you better get out of the networking business - 'cuz there's nobody in the entire industry you can buy from.

Last edited:

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
If aren't going to buy from a company because they have a feature called "Lawful Intercept" then you better get out of the networking business - 'cuz there's nobody in the entire industry you can buy from the US.
FTFY.

Problems can be avoided by buying from other countries or roll your own switches/routers with Pfsense/OpenBGPD. Just because they serve you stuff doesn't mean you have to eat it.

You can buy many custom built motherboards with 6 onboard nics for US$100 and do a lot of magic with Pfsense/OpenBGPD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Yup. Buy from Huawei or ZTE - 'cuz they are so much more honorable than Cisco.
Shrug, starting a pissing contest and smear other brands doesn't change the fact Cisco is so blatant about wide open backdoors in their products.

Why the hell would I pay premium for some closed source crap with a wide open backdoor? Open sourced firmware is the future.

If you're in the US maybe you have no choice, but big companies outside the US have already begun to jump ship, IBM hardware sales dropped 40% in China in a quarter where they expected growth, also huge drop in other countries.

The NSA Revelations cause collapse of IBM Hardware Sales in Chinas, Brazil, Russia and India
Snowden effect: US tech firms, Cisco take a hit in China
The NSA Leaks Have Been Crushing US Tech Sales In China

To quote someone on reddit:
[–]fukredditcensorship 1 point 1 month ago

Hardware sales won't be the only thing. Software will follow suit and people and companies will move away from closed source American software like Windows, Office and Mac if they have any idea of common sense. When a government can force a US company to backdoor their products under secret order you can't trust any of their products anymore.

If you're typing up a confidential 3rd quarter financial report in MS Word for your large publicly listed company that document could be compressed, encrypted and silently sent off to NSA in real-time with some background Windows process which appears to be doing an NTP lookup. Now they can pass that insider information tips along to a few people in the government to benefit on the stock exchange. Snowden leaks have shown that NSA is performing economic espionage e.g. Petrobras in Brazil.

Similar deal with a company's trade secrets and inventions. If they're not patented yet that information can be passed along to an American company or government department to create a patent first.

Similar deal again with defense technology. An outside country/organisation is working on missile defense technology and the blueprints are being silently sent back to NSA headquarters.

Unfortunately nothing closed source and from America can be trusted now. Even if it is from America and open source I would still wait for a security review from some trustworthy person or a company outside the US.

The exodus has begun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Truncating the off-topic messages in this thread. Apologies to uberguru.

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
I have a Cisco SG300-28 Switch. It depends how enterprise you want to go really. This does layer 3 and I use it at the centre of my lab.

Best fanless switch I could find when I was looking. There may be better ones that I missed, but I find this one brilliant. It was a bit expensive but nothing compared to the cost of the 3750 range that I use at work.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Since the auto link takes you to the PoE version, note the standard less expensive model is:

Cisco SG300-20 SRW2016-K9-NA 20-port Gigabit Managed Switch
Cisco SG300-28 SRW2024-K9-NA 26-port Gigabit Managed Switch

I have a fan-less Cisco SG200 and have been happy with it. For the SG300 Series they have an older Linksys/Cisco branded model and a newer only Cisco branded model I believe with the same part numbers.

Last edited:

vjeko

Sep 3, 2015
a couple of years have passed and I'm in the same boat as uberguru then - any suggestions
other than the cisco SG series or 3750G 24 port ebay/used (not fanless but not so power hungry - 41W) ?
The switch will be used in a house/apartment situation with 4 access points, my "home lab", other home users,
house sensors/control etc.