Looking for 2+ NVMe card without bifurcation need

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by stefan77, Jan 4, 2019.

1. stefan77

stefan77 New Member

Hey guys,

it's becoming frustrating. I finally got hardware for a Xeon E-21xx system. Unfortunately, mainboard choices are very rare. I went Supermicro X11SCA-F.

My requirement: TWO additional NVMe SSDs on ONE PCIe add on card.

Seems no big deal. But: I purchased the Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2-P and it does not work.

in Detail: I need a total of 4 NVMEs. 2 go onboard M.2. Fine. So I need 2 more. I could in theory use 2 AOC-SLG3-2M2-P cards. Tried it, works - each card populates 1 SSD. But then, the only remaining x4 slot on this particular board is shared with onboard M.2 connector #2. So if I put my Mellanox ConnectX in there, it won't be recognized.

Seems a bit stuck here. What I am looking for is a 2 (or more) NVMe Adapter which does not rely on PCIe bifurcation.

Any ideas?

2. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

Without pcie bifurcaton you will need an adapter with plx chips like the supermicro AOC-SHG3-4M2P

3. pyro_

pyro_ Active Member

I believe that the qnap qm2 cards have a pcie splitter on them and support either 2 or 4 m2 drives depending on the model of the card. They are also low profile cards

4. llowrey

llowrey Member

Take a look at this dual m.2 x16 card:

https://www.amazon.com/CREST-SI-PEX40129-Ports-Bifurcation-Controller/dp/B07HYZY7P2

It uses a PCIe switch instead of relying on bifurcation. It isn't cheap, but nothing with an onboard switch will be.

I haven't used one but it is of particular interest to me because I'm stuck on PCIe2 and this would allow me to get full bandwidth from 2 NVMes when the card is in a x16 PCIe2 slot.

The one amazon review confirms that this will work on older platforms that do not support bifurcation.

ScootingCat likes this.
  5. nerdalertdk

nerdalertdk Member

Ho

I'm looking for the same thing, what did you end up with ?

6. workingnonstop

workingnonstop Active Member

Broadcom makes some tri-mode (SATA/SAS/NVME) HBAs that may fit the bill for you. See here - SAS/SATA/NVMe Host Bus Adapters

I believe there are breakout cables available that allow for 2 NVME drives/port.