Looking at Ghetto-building a caselabs for 2x WS boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Well the old discontinued Caselabs Magnum TX10-D...want to stick potentially 2 ssi-eeb boards in there. Any suggestions? Cheap is the operative word of course...looking to find an ikea, or something 'chassis', and then can get plexiglass plates for pretty cheap. Won't be pretty! But after latest upgrade, and Corsair 900D really running out of space with 13 hdd and 5 ssd and 2 x psu, really need MORE SPACE!

Figure, iff I can get some galvanized steel/alu rails on the cheap, can just bolt on cheap plexi, (will be first time with a dremel/cirular metal cutter, forget the name, english is rusty).

Was thinking of doing it in wood, but for rf interference, not to mention all the kg's in there, maybe metal frame would be a better idea.

Am in Norway, so just general suggestions of folks who have done similar builds (ikea works! but not Walmart).

Of course, could just save a lot of pain and hassle and buy a fractal designs xl-r2, plop some rarely-used drives in there, and use it as render node or something. But in the long term...still going to need more drive space. At least 4 more. And no cannot buy cheap 24-drive server racks like you can in the US a la Norco...tried, not going to happen here. Not that I want a rack and high-pitched server whine next to me either...live in apartment, so not possible to put in garage.

Any and all ideas welcome for a quiet build! Was considering DAS via current serveraid 1115, say in small case with 8 hdd's or something with sas expander. Or custom pedestal for the corsair 900d...plop extra ps in there (old corsair 550 vx or something) along with extra hdd's.

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Ideally looking for something like the old caselabs, where I can have both mobos, but all hdd's connected via sas expander to the one, and the other one just needs to be turned on as render node as needed. Don't want to have to turn on another pc just to get to files. Yes no organization of files/folders, no I don't know where anything is, all I know is everything is backed up at least 4 times and in the cloud...and safe...for now....maybe...

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I'm confused. What are you looking for? Is it a way to expand your storage or to get a second compute node in or both?

What do you store in the drives? I see you mentioned something about a render node. Is it for video editing? Do you need fast access to your drives? Or is it just archive of edited videos? I am finding it difficult to decipher the posts to identify what you want.

I think a clear statement of what you hope to accomplish and what you are looking for from the community will be helpful. Maybe it's just me not understanding the post. If so I apologize.