Looking at consolidating, need some input

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

|-Goku-|

Feb 5, 2018
Hello STH,
I've been lurking for a while, and I decided it was time to actually create an account and post for some input on where I want to take my setup next

Here is my current server setup:
R710 with 2X5650s
128GB DDR3 RAM
LSI 9210-8e(I think this is right), connected to an MD1200
ESXi 6.0
5x 2TB HDDs in RAID 5, one datastore for parity drive
2x 250GB SSDs attached directly to the motherboard, each a datastore. VMs include Domain Controller, Plex Media Server, Minecraft server, Sophos Appliance Router

Dell MD1200 JBOD
5x 8TB WD Red Drives
7x 2TB Seagate hard drives(These are replaced whenever I get new WD 8TB hard drives)

All drives are passed through to the Plex Media server and use Drive Pool to pool them together. I use Snapraid, and the 8TB RAID 5 Datastore for the parity drive.

I'm looking to consolidate these into one server, as I'm currently using 450watts with both the R710 and MD1200 running. Not a big deal, but I feel like if I build a more efficient server, I can get better power usage, and better performance with newer hardware.

For the motherboard, I was looking at the X9DR7-LN4F-JBOD and 2 E5-2690 v2 CPUs. This would be loads better then the R710. I like the JBOD motherboard as it has a built in HBA, Broadcom 2308. But I am not sure if this has IT mode or not. Haven't done too much research just yet on it. I am looking to put this in an SC846 24 bay chassis with the EL1 backplane for better cable management, and use some SQ platinum power supplies.

I feel like I have thought this through pretty well, at least the CPU and the chassis. Not sure on the motherboard. My price for this whole thing will be about $1000(HDD not included), and I am going to be selling the MD1200 and R710 to offset some costs.

Some questions I have:
1. Is this the best motherboard for what I am looking to do? I was planning on moving the DDR3 ram to the new motherboard
2. The backplane, would it be better to go with the BPN-SAS-846A as it has 3 ports to the motherboard, allowing for more bandwidth?
3. Anything I am missing or should consider. I am open to all recommendations

Thank you!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The difference between x9dr-lnf4 and the jbod version, is that the jbod version comes in IT mode already. The other sku can easily be flashed to IT mode if desired. For what you have now, plus plenty of headroom, I don't think I would be putting those e5-2690's in there, something a bit lighter would easily cover your needs and give you better thermals, cheaper too, which in turn will translate to better noise handling and less power usage. The backplane I would go with the A version, if I had that option, next choice would then be the TQ version and finally the expander type. Obviously you would have to have at least 2 HBA's in there in addition to the onboard one, or some combination of breakout cables and mainboard ports. Other than that, I would say you're on the right track :)

Reactions: |-Goku-|

|-Goku-|

Feb 5, 2018
The difference between x9dr-lnf4 and the jbod version, is that the jbod version comes in IT mode already. The other sku can easily be flashed to IT mode if desired. For what you have now, plus plenty of headroom, I don't think I would be putting those e5-2690's in there, something a bit lighter would easily cover your needs and give you better thermals, cheaper too, which in turn will translate to better noise handling and less power usage. The backplane I would go with the A version, if I had that option, next choice would then be the TQ version and finally the expander type. Obviously you would have to have at least 2 HBA's in there in addition to the onboard one, or some combination of breakout cables and mainboard ports. Other than that, I would say you're on the right track :)
Ah, good to know. I'm not sure if there is any price difference there. Haven't done my shopping just yet.

I was looking at the 2690s or similar as there is sometimes a lot of transcoding going on with Plex. So, I'd like to have as much processing power as I can get. But I do see your point.

With the motherboard HBA, doesn't it have two connectors on it, so that I would only need one additional HBA?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Each port can drive 4 disks directly, or many more if using an expander, but you are proposing 24 slots on a direct connect backplane, so you'll need 6 ports available :)

Reactions: |-Goku-|

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Do you need dual CPUs? For power savings, you can go with a single CPU. Should be enough for the workload you have described.

Also, since you are using drive pool with spinning disks, a SAS2 backplane should be enough. If you really want to go the direct connect route, then I recommend the A backplane over the TQ unless you like cable management :)

|-Goku-|

Feb 5, 2018
Do you need 2 cpus?
Do you need dual CPUs? For power savings, you can go with a single CPU. Should be enough for the workload you have described.

Also, since you are using drive pool with spinning disks, a SAS2 backplane should be enough. If you really want to go the direct connect route, then I recommend the A backplane over the TQ unless you like cable management :)
I do quite a lot of processing. Especially with transcoding on the media server, having my router/firewall as a VM, Minecraft server. Plus, future proofing. I will also be transcoding 4k to 1080p every once in a while. I believe that just removing the MD1200 from the equation will save me 210 watts or so.

What advantage would direct connect have? Just more bandwidth, yeah? But since I am using drive pool, and most of the time it will only be accessing 1 or 2 of the drives, an Expander would be ok.

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I would go with 846A backplane, not just for less cables and full bandwidth to all drives, but also because they work with 12Gbps SAS for future proofing your chassis. To me, that's important so I can upgrade Mobo/CPU later, or otherwise I would have gotten some Dell or HP server instead.

For "cable management" here's my thread with 846A chassis and X9DR3-LN4F+ board and folding cables for some idea:

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-sas-cable-folding-in-a-supermicro-846.18437/