long boot delay with LSI passed through in ESXi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I have a Supermicro server based on a Xeon E5-2698v3, so it's an older 2011-3 from 2014.
MB is an X10SEH-CF, onboard HBA (where I put boot and datastores), 128GB RAM, etc.

I am using an LSI/Broadcom MR 9361-8i.
The system runs great running directly on ESXi using datastores on the RAID controller.
I am currently running it on Server 2022 datacenter w/Hyper-V, runs great on that too.

But, if I try to pass thru the RAID controller to a VM in ESXi (v7x) (vm running Server 2022), the server hangs on boot for approx. 10-20 minutes or more (I haven't done it enough to establish a pattern on how long). It does eventually boot up and works fine after that, but I don't dare continue with a configuration in this situation.

I haven't tried doing the same pass thru with Server 2022 and Hyper-V.

I suspect it may just be that the older CPU I am using has less evolved virtualization features, but I thought I would post about it anyway in case anyone else has run into this, and maybe found a solution.

Thanks

-JCL