Live USB for Ubuntu storage node?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
If I am going to run Ubuntu off a usb thumb drive for my storage nodes, what do you think is the best way to do it so that not is the speed decent, but I shouldn't have to worry to much about the write life of the drive? Dont most of the live usb options out there use fat32? The options out there seem limited for the server version of Ubuntu as well since the server iso does have a live boot option. For some reason I am not having much luck coming up with a good solution.

dealcorn

Oct 12, 2011
Live?

The boot USB in my home Debian Archival Server is formatted using ext4. I selected ext4 when I installed Debian on the USB. Ubuntu should work the same. I had to select LILO rather than grub to install a boot loader on the USB.

Some things on a live USB are different and may cause issues. I prefer the plain vanila familiarity of a standard install to USB.

USB flash boot disks are widely used on servers. Failure reports are not abundant. I take comfort in that. The applications loaded on my server are just not very challenging to flash drives.