Live Streaming w/ CCTV Sanity Check

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Love for any experts to weigh in on the feasibility of the project I'm scoping out..:

We're looking at adding low cost streaming of our church services. The initial goal will be to run feeds to TV screens in our function hall etc. The goal after that will be to provide remote live streaming, probably using a combination of OBS & Youtube (no direct external access to the camera)...

My solution is to order a used Hikvision CCTV with audio-in from B&H and then stream internally over the LAN to Raspberry Pis, that I have spare already, connected to the TVs via HDMI. I like this option because it's set and forget once set up, easy for me to wire (one new network drop to an existing and empty mounting box, and a POE injector at the switch end). For this step I don't need to worry about sound at all, as it's already distributed around the building. And it'll do 1080p25 h.264.

I'll then set up the remote live streaming feed using the second camera stream at internet quality (SD) and rig the audio-in to an additional microphone, or the building's sound distribution system. Like I said, I'll probably use OBS and Youtube to handle that side.

Because we're looking low cost, I've scoped out a couple of used options from B&H - the DS-2CD2132F-IWS ($120) or the DS-2CD2532F-IS ($150). I believe if it has a S suffix it has audio-in (but B&H lists the latter, an indoor dome, as an outdoor dome?). As far as lenses go, either 4mm or 6mm is fine for our use and I'm going to enquire regarding the warranty on used items, as its the primary reason I'd order it through them and not online/Amazon).

1. Am I being sensible?
2. Are their outdoor cameras fine for indoor use?
3. Is there any other reason that I should pick one of the cameras over the other? Or is it just cosmetic differences?
4. Am I missing a fundamental roadblock/problem?