List of NICs and their equivalent OEM parts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JanCerny

Nov 25, 2017
Czech Republic
What makes Intel that much more special? It doesn't do 25/40gig, not iWARP/RDMA...
I am not being sarcastic, I would genuinely love to know your thought process on this.
Good point. This card will be used for FreeNAS/TrueNAS and have expected driver support until 2028 (like others X710). I am using these Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI cards for home 10Gbit networking (22 USD + 10 USD shipping + 21 % VAT/import charges).

I live in Czech Republic (EU), the prices are always much higher than in the US. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: BoredSysadmin

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Ordered 2 NC552SFP cards. One for a QNAP box(based on this thread). Will try sr-iov on another.
Question: I am using Mikrotik as switch, will the DAC cable compatible with Mikrotik work for the HP cards?

This page shows it supports SR-IOV with proper firmware, software and OS.

Code:
Supports industry standard SR-IOV (Single Root Input Output Virtualization).
SR-IOV reduces CPU overhead when sharing networking resources between numerous virtual machines.
The NC552SFP hardware is capable of SR-IOV, requires firmware, software and OS support.

samster88

May 18, 2020
Please update this thread and OP's original recommendations to stay away from Dell's version of I350 cards as they don't support SR-IOV. They are equivalent to I340s. I bought 5 I350-T4(4x PCIE 0THGMP and 1x Daughter card R1XFC) and none of them support SR-IOV.

Dell I350-T4 = Regular I340-T4

Here is the forum post from Intel's website:

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Dell 0V5DG9 = Mellanox ConnectX-5 MCX512F, no suffix on the label, except with a Dell short bracket. No LED's. Dual port 25Gb EN, PCIe x16

Has a Dell OEM PSID.

Probably equivalent to MCX512F-ACAT.

Snagged a couple of pulls on the cheap, trying to figure out if I can tweek them into taking the standard Mellanox firmware.

Reactions: Aluminat

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Dell 0V5DG9 = Mellanox ConnectX-5 MCX512F, no suffix on the label, except with a Dell short bracket. No LED's. Dual port 25Gb EN, PCIe x16

Has a Dell OEM PSID. :(

Probably equivalent to MCX512F-ACAT.

Snagged a couple of pulls on the cheap, trying to figure out if I can tweek them into taking the standard Mellanox firmware.

Been playing with one of them a little while waiting for tall brackets arrive from the Mellanox store. They do have LED's, tiny ones on the edge of the card, but no plastic light pipes. They do inter-operate just fine with 10gb ConnectX-3 EN cards and accept the same 10gb EN passive copper cables.

They are Dell OEM, and have a Dell PSID of something like 00000015. Meaning the only firmware update source is Dell, the Mellanox firmware won't load. No Linux package available, just Windows from Dell. But the .exe is just a self-extracting archive and easy to pull the .bin payload for the card. Just specify the source directory to the firmware file and Mellanox tools from OFED 5.0-1.0.0.0 package did a painless flash update.

Latest Dell Firmware is from January. It doesn't exactly match up with any of the Mellanox packages. Figured it would be a Dell blessed, re-release of a Mellanox package, but it appears to be a branch of stuff between MLNX releases.

ConnectX-5 is supported better by Nvidia deep-learning containers than ConnectX-3 for RDMA and so on. I'd like to play around with GPU Direct over RoCE between some Xeon workstations. Not sure whether I really need VPI/Infiniband for that, or if the EN cards will work.

But they were reasonable in price and I'll see what I can get out of them. If I can get them to do what I want, I might spring for the 25gbEN cable.

Dazog

Apr 26, 2015
Been playing with one of them a little while waiting for tall brackets arrive from the Mellanox store. They do have LED's, tiny ones on the edge of the card, but no plastic light pipes. They do inter-operate just fine with 10gb ConnectX-3 EN cards and accept the same 10gb EN passive copper cables.

They are Dell OEM, and have a Dell PSID of something like 00000015. Meaning the only firmware update source is Dell, the Mellanox firmware won't load. No Linux package available, just Windows from Dell. But the .exe is just a self-extracting archive and easy to pull the .bin payload for the card. Just specify the source directory to the firmware file and Mellanox tools from OFED 5.0-1.0.0.0 package did a painless flash update.

Latest Dell Firmware is from January. It doesn't exactly match up with any of the Mellanox packages. Figured it would be a Dell blessed, re-release of a Mellanox package, but it appears to be a branch of stuff between MLNX releases.

ConnectX-5 is supported better by Nvidia deep-learning containers than ConnectX-3 for RDMA and so on. I'd like to play around with GPU Direct over RoCE between some Xeon workstations. Not sure whether I really need VPI/Infiniband for that, or if the EN cards will work.

But they were reasonable in price and I'll see what I can get out of them. If I can get them to do what I want, I might spring for the 25gbEN cable.
Can you link me dell's site where you see this?

Also the connectx-5 firmware OEM (DELL)

It won't work?

PSID: DEL0000000005

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
This link worked for the 25gb ethernet cards I have:

I downloaded the tools from Mellanox, and used 'mlxup' tool to flash them with the signed images in the "payload" folder from the download.
They appear to be working just fine and show up as bootable devices both in legacy BIOS and UEFI.

The tall brackets finally came in from Mellanox. They went on a long, extended multi-city tour of the western US courtesy of FedEx ground. I'm only using the 10gb passive enet cables from the Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN cards I had. They also interoperate nicely with them. But I haven't done much else with them yet.

Reactions: Dazog

Dazog

Apr 26, 2015
This link worked for the 25gb ethernet cards I have:

I downloaded the tools from Mellanox, and used 'mlxup' tool to flash them with the signed images in the "payload" folder from the download.
They appear to be working just fine and show up as bootable devices both in legacy BIOS and UEFI.

The tall brackets finally came in from Mellanox. They went on a long, extended multi-city tour of the western US courtesy of FedEx ground. I'm only using the 10gb passive enet cables from the Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN cards I had. They also interoperate nicely with them. But I haven't done much else with them yet.
So the PID of these cards are DEL0000000005 or DEL0000000015 ?

Casper042

Aug 29, 2016
Intel i350 options from HP(E) are missing from the list.

366T = 4 port = 811546-B21 / 816551-001
361T = 2 port = 652497-B21 / 656241-001 / 656241-002

These seem to run higher $$ wise compared to some of the other's you had on the list.

I tried to modify the eBay Search syntax and it lets me add HP and HPE to the first set but when I tried to add 366T and 361T to the second set it gave me an error. Not sure if it doesn't like my syntax or the search string just became too long.

• Wow
Reactions: Aluminat

Raffles

Jan 9, 2013
UK
Recently picked up a pair of:-

Cisco 74-6814-01 Intel 10GB Dual Port Ethernet Adapter N2XX-AIPCI01 (£35ea so seem quite reasonable compared to some of the favourites)

Documentation says they are Intel X520/82599

"pciconf -lv" reports
ix0@pci0:4:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x000c8086 chip=0x10fb8086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = '82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

Edit:-
*** Added the other card to ESXi 6.7 host. It reports - "Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection" ***

Dunno how that compares to other 10GB cards.

Had a look at Intel ARK. Only difference I can find between 82599ES & EB is interfaces supported:-
82599ES - SFI, KR, XAUI, KX, KX4, BX, CX4
82599EB - XAUI, KX, KX4, BX, BX4, CX4

Heatsink seemed quite wobbly because of the big blob of compound so cleaned it off and reseated with thin smear of Arctic Silver. Do these NIC's report their temperature?

P.

Last edited:

uppie1414

Jan 22, 2018
Chelsio 110-1146-40 e0 Dual Port SFP+ 10GbE T420

What SFP work for these? afbr-709smz FTLX8571D3BCL ? thanks!

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I know these are older cards, but the Intel PRO/1000 MT server (dual port PCI-X card) has an HP twin in the NC7170. This was really useful to find some genuine Intel cards as all the Intel ones were basically fakes.

ZFSZealot

Aug 16, 2021
For what it's worth, I bought a Fujitsu D2755-A11 based on this post and found it to be for all intents and purposes to be an x520 but tolerant out of the box of any SFP+ transceiver I tried in it. I was able to flash the latest iSCSI firmware to it directly from the Intel site and am using SFP+ modules that I think are coded for Cisco.

Reactions: BLinux and Samir

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
For what it's worth, I bought a Fujitsu D2755-A11 based on this post and found it to be for all intents and purposes to be an x520 but tolerant out of the box of any SFP+ transceiver I tried in it. I was able to flash the latest iSCSI firmware to it directly from the Intel site and am using SFP+ modules that I think are coded for Cisco.
Hey, thanks for sharing! Was that using Windows drivers or some other OS? I thought the SFP restrictions was done in software (driver), so for example, on Linux those restrictions are not enforced (just issues a warning message?). Windows drivers seem to enforce the restriction.

ZFSZealot

Aug 16, 2021
Hey, thanks for sharing! Was that using Windows drivers or some other OS? I thought the SFP restrictions was done in software (driver), so for example, on Linux those restrictions are not enforced (just issues a warning message?). Windows drivers seem to enforce the restriction.
So I just used the latest Intel ProSet drivers... This particular workstation I'm still running Windows 7 on and I got the drivers from Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7* - Final Release, I'd assume anything on Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-DA2 Downloads, Drivers and Software | Intel should work.

As far as the SFP restrictions go, see this discussion https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-eeprom-to-unlock-all-sfp-transceivers.24634/. I was all set to use ethtool to flip the low bit described in that thread but found it already set, the byte was 0xff so at least mine worked out of the box.

bfarnam

May 20, 2020
St Louis
I've got a couple of Chelsio cards to add to the collection:

Chelsio T420-LL-CR is part number 110-1146-40 C0 - Chelsio T420 10GbE with Offload
Chelsio T420-CR is 110-1159-40 A0 - Chelsio T420 Low Latency 10GbE with Offload

There are both full offload cards, the LL-CR is a low-latency adapter.

These aren't OEM but there's no reference available anywhere listing Models and Part No.s, frequently the cards are listed on eBay by Part No exclusively.
A *little* late to this party . . . ok a LOT late.

110-1146-40 C0 should be a standard Chelsio T420-CR with Active (FAN) Cooling - not LL (Low Latency) and not SO (Server Offload). Rev C0 should have the copper heatsink with fan.

110-1159-40 A0 I believe are the "FC HBA" versions. However, in FreeNAS/TrueNAS and even Windows 10 they seem to work as a standard NIC. Rev A0 is the copper passive heatsink.

Both of these cards should share the PCB FAB 100-1120-00 Rev C

Server Offload cards typically will either be a different PCB FAB (and usually a shorter card) or will just not have the RAM populated.

I am not sure what makes a Low Latency Card - possibly faster RAM? I haven't dug that far into the components as I was just focused on finding compatible part numbers on the cheap. I can usually get a card on eFlea for between $10 and $50.

Chelsio 110-1146-40 e0 Dual Port SFP+ 10GbE T420

What SFP work for these? afbr-709smz FTLX8571D3BCL ? thanks!
110-1146-40 E0 should be a standard Chelsio T420-CR with Active (FAN) Cooling - not LL (Low Latency) and not SO (Server Offload). Rev E0 should have the aluminum heatsink with fan. This is what I run in my TrueNAS.

I haven't used a bunch of different SFP+ but I have used the Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL without any issues. I have some "Cisco" SFP-10G-SR and 10GBase-T (RJ45) adapters that I will be testing before then end of the year.

As far as driver support, I have been using a 110-1120-40 E0 in a Win 10 Pro machine with the UnifiedWire v5.0.0.57 drivers without any issues.

You can see my other post on here for more info:
Massive List of Chelsio T4xx and T5xx Part Numbers, FAB Numbers, and OEM Equivalents

Last edited: