Linux web based photo manager

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denisl

Dec 20, 2014
I'm looking for a photo/picture gallery that runs on linux and can be administered through a browser (no dependency on a desktop environment). I don't see anything that is web based. Any recommendations? Thanks

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Would you mind using dependencies like PHP? Something like Gallery, Zenphoto, Ubergallery, piwigo.

denisl

Dec 20, 2014
PHP is fine just something easy for my wife to interface with. Thanks for the suggestions I'm checking them out now.

denisl

Dec 20, 2014
I just played around with piwigo and although I like it, the photos are renamed and stored in it's own directory structure - essentially moving all the context of the photos into the mysql database. That's going to be a problem for me.

My goal is to have photos from cell phones automatically synced to my owncloud vm and then share the same upload location via a NFS mount to the too be determined photo gallery VM. I'll start checking out the other ones listed above to see how they organize and manage the actual files. If there is something you know or use that would work with photos uploaded from another app please let me know. Thanks

dataoscar

Dec 2, 2013
I am currently using Xpenology just so I can use Photostation. Wife and I switched to iPhones, and the sync apps on iPhone did not support CIFS. Anyhow, Synology provides a free app to upload the photos.

If you just want to have a pretty gallery, check out Lychee - Lychee — Self-hosted photo-management done right . Its open source, has a plugin system, and looks ... gorgeous for open source. They also have a plugin for importing pictures from a local directory - GustavePate/lycheesync · GitHub , it even mentions how the plugin was created to "enslave" Lychee to Owncloud.

On another note, how is the sync software for owncloud? Are you using the Android version?

denisl

Dec 20, 2014
I am currently using Xpenology just so I can use Photostation. Wife and I switched to iPhones, and the sync apps on iPhone did not support CIFS. Anyhow, Synology provides a free app to upload the photos.

If you just want to have a pretty gallery, check out Lychee - Lychee — Self-hosted photo-management done right . Its open source, has a plugin system, and looks ... gorgeous for open source. They also have a plugin for importing pictures from a local directory - GustavePate/lycheesync · GitHub , it even mentions how the plugin was created to "enslave" Lychee to Owncloud.

On another note, how is the sync software for owncloud? Are you using the Android version?
Thanks I'll definitely check lychee out sounds very promising.
I'll also check gimpshop and photostation in xpenology since that is whet I'm using for my NAS VM.

The iphone sync software for owncloud is ok not great. My wife has an android phone and the owncloud app does everything I want and them some. The big lacking with iphone is instant upload of pictures. I have to periodically open the app and sync. I'm playing with owncloud, webdav navigator+ and photosync with my iphone, none of which have instant upload. photysync has a '1 touch button' sync option which I find myself using most often.

davlee

Jan 7, 2016
I just built a new linux server over xmas. I tried Piwigo and ended up going with Zenphoto with the zbase theme. I've used Gallery3 in the past.

OpenSky Photos

Piwigo is very user friendly, but is is extremely limited. It has no real user / group / album ownership functionality without using the community plug in which doesn't even provide DELETE functionality for photos and albums created by users. It also catalogs all your photos is a custom directory structure by giving all your files random names and uses mysql to piece everything together. Basically you CANNOT upload photos into a file directory and expect them to show up.

Zenphoto is super complicated and will take a day or two to go through all the options it has. However it has built in user / group ownership of albums, private vs public vs unpublished albums, functionality to custom sort your photos in an album, move and reorg your albums etc.. This functionality is available for any album owner through the web interface. There are built in web editing tools to rotate, crop, etc.. your images.

The best thing is that you can use FTP to make new album directories and upload photos. It took a bit of tweaking, but I basically gave my www-data group ownership of all existing and future directories while using ACLs to give individual user accounts rights on their root albums. Now they can login using SFTP clients to manage their albums and photos.

$ cd /var/www/html/zenphoto/albums
$ sudo chmod -R g+s "Your Album Name" # gives www-data group rights to all existing and future directories created by any user
$ sudo setfacl -R -m u:"Your User Id":rwx "Your Album Name" # gives a user read write access to all directories in their album
$ sudo setfacl -R -m d:"Your User Id"rwx "Your Album Name" # gives the user read write access to all newly created directories in their album.

Symlink a user's album directory to their home directory for easy access..

ln -s /var/www/html/zenphoto/albums/"Your Album Name" /home/"Your User Id"/zenphoto

There is a MariaDB backend as well to capture extra metadata info like comments, ratings, etc..

denisl

Dec 20, 2014
Thanks for this writeup on zenphoto. I agree on Piwgo - although it is real easy to use. Since my use is personal and not on the internet I ended up going with Lychee and use Lycheesync to keep lychee in sync with my and my wifes owncloud picture directories. Although there is no functionality at all in Lychee I have been thinking of changing. User permissions and public/private albums is a big miss in Lychee. I think I'll give Zenphoto another shot after your write up and move away from Lychee (or keep both since Lychee is pretty much zero maintenance with lycheesync).