Patrick

Linux Desktop in Docker Running in 60 Seconds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick submitted a new resource:

Linux Desktop in Docker Running in 60 Seconds - If you ever need a temporary Linux Desktop, use this

About twice a day I get some form of SPAM that asks me to go to a site. I make it a rule not to follow those links from my PCs, ever.

What happens if you want to open a suspicious link? Or let's say you want a quick Linux GUI in your data center but do not want to install a VM. Perhaps you do not have a provisioning template.

Step 1: Fire up the docker image:
Code:
docker run -it --rm -p 6080:80 -p 5900:5900 -e VNC_PASSWORD=CHANGEME! dorowu/ubuntu-desktop-lxde-vnc
Change...
Read more about this resource...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Great use case ! So simple

But I would like to point out to people if they are using this for checking suspect sites if your emailed cut and paste into the docker, don't open your web mail from the docker image.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
I modified the lines to add a prompt for desired password and named the docker container = desktop for easier management

Code:
read -ep "enter desired password for VNC on port 5900: " pass; docker run -it --rm --name desktop -p 6080:80 -p 5900:5900 -e VNC_PASSWORD=$pass dorowu/ubuntu-desktop-lxde-vnc

paf

Sep 21, 2020
Portugal
The advantage of something in docker is that the connection works over the network. The disadvantage is that works over the network.
A virtual machine with a live Linux CD also starts fast and might be more secure than Docker...