Linux, bridge mstp redundant bridge

Discussion in 'Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization' started by iceisfun, Aug 27, 2018.

1. iceisfun

iceisfun New Member

Has anyone setup redundant spanning tree connections to a linux bridge using mstp?

It seems like the linux bridge uses rstp and the rest of our network is all setup mstp.

How are other people setting up redundancy with virtual machines across multiple switches?

2. vanfawx

vanfawx Active Member

I have done this. Linux only supports stp via their bridge. The thing you'll need to pay attention to is the priority of your root and secondary bridges and set your Linux bridge appropriately. However, I wouldn't recommend this, as rebooting a host will cause a spanning tree reconvergence.

The typical way on Linux to provide interface HA is to use the bonding driver in mode 1, active/passive. Or if your switches support MLAG (multi-chassis link aggregation), you can use the bonding driver in mode 4, LACP.

Can you share more details about your environment? Also, I'm seeing this reply is coming to you late, so hopefully this information is still useful.