Linux-Bench - Easier way to test the development script

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For those feeling somewhat adventurous I know that typing the raw.githubusercontent... information is a pain if you are trying to test the latest and greatest Linux-Bench development script.

The main script can still be found at http://linux-bench.com/linux-bench.sh

I made a short script that times the entire run but also downloads and runs the development script. By short, it is 2 lines but it makes life easier and will stay updated for the latest development script where we are working on ARM support and the new results parser.

bash <(curl -sk http://linux-bench.com/lb-test.sh)

That is all that one needs now to run the latest and greatest development version. I do want to emphasize that the beta script is not perfect. For example, it will load to the old parser but not the new parser (working on that error today).

@Chuckleb may be a little bit different methodology but it is largely what you have been looking to do for some time.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yay! Will be easier for folks to test.
In fact, easier (fewer characters) than the original script :) I have been running more benchmarks due to the BW-DE testing.

What would be really, really, slick is if we could get a bootable ISO that would install curl and run that command automatically. I wonder how much it would cost to get something like that? Maybe one for the main script one for the development one.

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
What would be really, really, slick is if we could get a bootable ISO that would install curl and run that command automatically. I wonder how much it would cost to get something like that? Maybe one for the main script one for the development one.
There's diskimage-builder. A custom image could be created that will run linux-bench after booting. Might be easier to just include the full script in the image so internet access isn't required. Finally, it looks like converting an image to a bootable ISO isn't too difficult. I don't see anything obvious yet but getting a bootable USB stick should be pretty easy.

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
I am testing something that does that right now. Created a qcow2 image that I booted a VM from and it started Linux-Bench. Unfortunately I don't know where it is in the script because the screensaver kicked in and it's just a black screen now. My poor laptop's fan indicates it's not done yet. I think the image could be converted to raw and put on a USB drive too.

How would you like the code? I forked the GitHub repository and can make a pull request.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Awesome! I think it might still be going since I do not see a debug notification I get from beta.linux-bench.com right now when there is a new result.

En route to the datacenter now but will look this up when I get back.