Linux based FreeNAS alternatives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Poking around the internet looking for a NAS Distro to try. I was planning on going to FreeNAS Corral since it had Docker Integration...but we know how that went :(

Seems like most people have gone to ZFS historically because it was more stable than BTRFS, but is that still the case today?

Ideally I would like a Linux based system instead of Solarish/BSD so I can run Docker on it as well.

Found this listed on Distro Watch, anyone used/tried Rockstor?
BTRFS & Linux powered Advanced NAS server made easy | Rockstor

I was also thinking Xpenology since I am moving from a Syno, but I don't like the fact that it's not running a current version of docker so I am a bit limited on that front.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
my biggest issue with rockstore is that any Major update requires total reinstall of OS.
even with config backup and restore it is not what I would want to do.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
this is the FAQ page Installation — Rockstor documentation
although I should have said Major Releases not Updates.

Upgrading Rockstor
Rockstor is under continuous development and we push tested updates in small batches. These updates are easy to install. While we roll-out major releases that require complete OS install, we try to make these releases as infrequent as possible. We strive to make most updates non-disruptive.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Why not consider using something like Ubuntu server 16.04 or Enterprise Linux (CentOS etc.) with ZFS On Linux?
It is not that difficult to setup a no-webif host with KVM virtualization, LXC containers (via LXD), Docker containers and ZFS.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Why not consider using something like Ubuntu server 16.04 or Enterprise Linux (CentOS etc.) with ZFS On Linux?
It is not that difficult to setup a no-webif host with KVM virtualization, LXC containers (via LXD), Docker containers and ZFS.
I could and would be comfortable doing that, everything else I run us CentOS minimal install, but I do like having a UI for storage to visualize things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I was hoping OMV would have picked up more traction but development is still pretty a one man band with Volker.
Yea I won't lie for me that makes OMV not a viable option. Napp-it plus ZOL is probably better since I can at least control the updates on the OS side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
has anyone tried ESOS yet ?
i'm currently still struggling to compile with --enable-zfs on a debian jessie box, but will give it a try with an ubuntu vm soon.
ESOS is heavily based on SCST and should therefore be rock-solid for iscsi, fcoe, srp but has no (free) GUI but the TUI seems to be quite mature. also, the fact that the os can boot from USB and then runs completely in-memory is interesting.
guess nfs-shares and other more ,nas-like' Features would be possible via zfs sharing but are maybe not the strength of it.