linksys lgs552 cpu?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I'm looking for a 48 port gb switch with 10g uplink,
and linksys lgs552 seems to be the one with reasonable price in my country,
there's one concern though, i cannot find any information about its cpu specs,
i saw a review dissecting it and it says it's using marvell board but it doesn't say anything about the cpu.

My reason for cpu concern is i had Mikrotik CRS226 on my environment, and it did not do a very good job because its cpu spike up when the traffic is high, i explained it here :
CRS226-24G-2S+ High CPU - MikroTik

Should i be concerned about lgs552's cpu for my needs?
Or is there any other low or at least below $1000 switch recommendation (48 ports and 10gb sfp+ uplink)

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
According to this review of the PoE version of the switch, the SOC is a Marvell 98Dx3036, a dual core ARMv7, although I couldn't find any info on the clock speed.

Plenty of decent alternatives to the Linksys available fitting your criteria, though. To name a few:

Cisco SG350X 48x RJ-45 1Gbps, 2x RJ-45 10Gbps, 2x SFP+ 10Gbps -> around €800 over here
Dell X1052 48x RJ-45 1Gbps, 4x SFP+ 10Gbps -> €520
Dell N1548 48x RJ-45 1Gbps, 4x SFP+ 10Gbps -> €640

What does speak for the Linksys however is that it is fanless (the non-PoE version). That's a rarity when it comes to 48 port switches, especially with 10Gbps uplinks. So if noise is an important criteria, the Linksys is an interesting choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: denywinarto

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
According to this review of the PoE version of the switch, the SOC is a Marvell 98Dx3036, a dual core ARMv7, although I couldn't find any info on the clock speed.

Plenty of decent alternatives to the Linksys available fitting your criteria, though. To name a few:

Cisco SG350X 48x RJ-45 1Gbps, 2x RJ-45 10Gbps, 2x SFP+ 10Gbps -> around €800 over here
Dell X1052 48x RJ-45 1Gbps, 4x SFP+ 10Gbps -> €520
Dell N1548 48x RJ-45 1Gbps, 4x SFP+ 10Gbps -> €640

What does speak for the Linksys however is that it is fanless (the non-PoE version). That's a rarity when it comes to 48 port switches, especially with 10Gbps uplinks. So if noise is an important criteria, the Linksys is an interesting choice.
Yes thats the review that i meant..
Now im torn between linksys and dell x1052
The others arent available in my country.
The price difference is quite big, dell is 300$ cheaper, and it has more sfp+ port too (even though i just need 1)
Both have lifetime warranty..
But linksys seems to have alot of positive review.. dell doesnt have alot of reviews yet.
Cant also find dell's cpu though

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
If you truly are only using the switch as a dumb layer2 switch (might as well be unmanaged), the CPU really should not matter (of course it may anyway).

The network diagrams on your post on Mikrotik's forum are not very detailed, so it is a little difficult to say what may be the exact issue you are having from them(assuming for a moment it is not just some weird CPU bug), but I can at least see two potential issues.

The first is that you are using the switch to route traffic between different subnets, the CPU in the CRS226 is not much better than a basic home router, so should not be used for anything other than basic tasks.

The other is that you may have some kind of loop (like: SW1 -> SW2 -> SW3 -> SW1), and may be having some kind of broadcast storm going on, where traffic gradually increases. In one of the more recent versions of Mikrotik's firmware, they added support for spanning tree protocol (STP), which should help alleviate the problem if you do have a loop. To use it you will probably have to enable it manually, the CRS documentation shows how to do this.

Reactions: denywinarto

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
If you truly are only using the switch as a dumb layer2 switch (might as well be unmanaged), the CPU really should not matter (of course it may anyway).

The network diagrams on your post on Mikrotik's forum are not very detailed, so it is a little difficult to say what may be the exact issue you are having from them(assuming for a moment it is not just some weird CPU bug), but I can at least see two potential issues.

The first is that you are using the switch to route traffic between different subnets, the CPU in the CRS226 is not much better than a basic home router, so should not be used for anything other than basic tasks.

The other is that you may have some kind of loop (like: SW1 -> SW2 -> SW3 -> SW1), and may be having some kind of broadcast storm going on, where traffic gradually increases. In one of the more recent versions of Mikrotik's firmware, they added support for spanning tree protocol (STP), which should help alleviate the problem if you do have a loop. To use it you will probably have to enable it manually, the CRS documentation shows how to do this.
I forgot some details such as there's a heavy ISCSI traffic back and forth between diskless server and the clients.
Because in diskless environment, client's read and write is done on server-client basis where the diskless server stores drives for read (image and gamedisk/D disk) and write (writeback).

But other than that i'm merely using it for dumb switch, no rules / firewall or anything.

I'm using same subnet for all PC,

broadcast storm might be a possibility, unfortunately it's very difficult to test it again on my crs 226 because i have changed it to a temporary hp switch, lots of cabling change involved.

I'm leaning towards not branching my switch too anyway, so 48 ports is a must, and crs226 doesn't have enough ports.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
One thing to pay attn to is a switch that is up to the task 'packet buffer'-wise. 12MB+ is a good goal for an mid-to-heavy usage IP SAN switch. Several good options...MANY bad options. Do some research and save yourself a headache.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Both of those are just 'meh' for IP SAN switches IMHO. You can do better but you gotta spend $300-500 for say a Juniper EX3300/4300, an Arista, an HP 2910al/2920al/3500yl switch or the like. Those all have good packet buffers.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Both of those are just 'meh' for IP SAN switches IMHO. You can do better but you gotta spend $300-500 for say a Juniper EX3300/4300, an Arista, an HP 2910al/2920al/3500yl switch or the like. Those all have good packet buffers.
Hmm those switches dont have 10g uplink.. im looking for 48p gb + at least 1 sfp+ uplink. The ones with 10g from Juniper and arista are usually out of my budget.. the price usually doubles or more in my country than its original