Links to Blogs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
What are your favorite tech blogs that cover things like homelabs, virtualization, server hardware, novel uses for enterprise equipment, etc? I've run across several over the years but most have either fizzled or I lost track of them. I'm interested in what folks on here are doing with their hardware or reading about others who are doing things out of the norm.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Here is my general go to place, some other places include HardForum and Reddit Homelab, Sysadmin subreddits.

Reactions: RandyC

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
It is really tough to find good coverage of corporate gear / re-purposed for the home lab. Most of the blogs that were worth watching have been purchased by corporations desperate to make the transition from print advertising to the Internet. Most of these are either incredibly superficial or ultimately pander to their customers, the advertisers and we, the product, are not terribly well served.

nickscott18

Mar 15, 2013
Looking through what I read on Feedly - other than Serve The Home, the only site I have related to home labs is JonKensys one. Completley agree with Robert's post - it's very hard to find good blogs on the matter.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It is a very small/ tough niche. But the plan is to expand writers on topics. What I have found is that you have platforms that go out of fashion (e.g. Windows Home Server when STH was started.) You also have to devote a lot of time to it over years.

My hope is that I can get more folks who want to write a few articles on a topic and host it on STH. I get totally bummed when I try going back to sites and they disappear.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Yeah I get how hard it is to find quality blogs. This site is quite a hub for folks like us and is why I'm on here multiple times a day! I just figured this thread might get a good list of links together. Here's one I've enjoyed reading from time to time:
Home | TinkerTry IT @ Home

Reactions: RandyC

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Failures are also difficult for independent blogs, I have(had) one that was taken down by the failure of a vertex 3 drive last year and just now got to bringing the site back online

Reactions: coolrunnings82