Link aggregation on oi151a

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

otri

Aug 21, 2011
Bremen, Germany
Hello,

I've successfully activated link aggregation on NCP3.1 and SE with my HP ProCurve 1810G switch but I fail to do so on oi151a and do not understand why.

I did the following:

# svcadm disable network/physical:nwam
# dladm create-aggr -l e1000g0 -l e1000g1 aggr0
# ifconfig aggr0 plumb
# ifconfig aggr0 dhcp start

Doing

# ifconfig -a

informs me that aggr0 has a valid IP-address (I am not writing everything here because I only have access to the machine from this computer using VNC and therefore I cannot copy from the terminal). But name resolving doesn't work if I try to ping a domain like heise.de or anything on the web or intranet. I only can access it if I type in the IP address.

If I try to make the modification persistent with the following command:

# touch /etc/datengrab.aggr0 /etc/dhcp.aggr0

(the files I created do not contain anything - I hope this is ok) and if I subsequently do a reboot then no IP address is shown for aggr0 using ifconfig -a. I only can obtain an address doing manually again

# ifconfig aggr0 plumb
# ifconfig aggr0 dhcp start

But DNS resolving then still doesn't work and after this reboot also SSH, SMB and other services are down (that is why I currently access only via VNC). Doing

# svcs -xv

tells me that svc:/network/physical:default is in maintenance mode due to the following reason: Start method exited with $SMF_EXIT_ERR_CONFIG. and the following 12 dependent services are not running:

svc:/milestone/network:default
svc:/network/iscsi/initiator:default
svc:/network/smb/client:default
svc:/network/smb/server:default
svc:/network/shares/group:default
svc:/network/shares/group:smb
svc:/network/shares/group:zfs
svc:/system/fcoe_initiator:default
svc:/network/iptun:default
svc:/network/ssh:default
svc:/network/dns/multicast:default
svc:/system/avahi-bridge-dsd:default

If I look into the /var/svc/log/network-physical:default.log then it tells me that
[...]
[ Okt 25 20:32:29 timeout override by svc.startd. Using infinite timeout. ]
starting DHCP on primary interface aggr0
aggr0: interface does not exist or cannot be managed using DHCP
[ Okt 25 20:32:32 Method "start" exited with status 96. ]

Anyone has got an idea what I did wrong because I really do not have a single clue.

Kind regards, Oli

otri

Aug 21, 2011
Bremen, Germany
Gea,
thanks a lot for the hint with ipadm! I didn't know that # touch /etc/HOSTNAME.aggr0 /etc/dhcp.aggr0 doesn't work anymore and therefore the changes made with # ifconfig aggr0 plumb and # ifconfig aggr0 dhcp start aren't persistent.

The following solved my issues:

After disabling nwam I added 'ipnodes files dns' and 'hosts files dns' in /etc/nsswitch.conf and name resolving worked again. Then - after having created the aggregation aggr0 with dladm - I made the plumbing of aggr0 and dhcp start persistent using the new ipadm command as follows: ipadm create-addr -T dhcp aggr0/dhcpaddr

ipadm show-if then tells me that the aggregation is persistent:

oli@datengrab:~$ ipadm show-if
IFNAME STATE CURRENT PERSISTENT
lo0 ok -m-v------46 ---
aggr0 ok bm--------46 -46

With ipadm show-addr I can check that the DHCP server provided me an address:

oli@datengrab:~$ ipadm show-addr
ADDROBJ TYPE STATE ADDR
lo0/v4 static ok 127.0.0.1/8
aggr0/dhcpaddr dhcp ok 192.168.178.20/24
lo0/v6 static ok ::1/128

Regards, Oli