Licensing Compliance Service caused a shutdown - not sure why

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ncarty97

Apr 4, 2016
So I've been having a problem for a while where my server will shut it self down. Here's what I got:

Windows Servers Essentials 2012r2 - set up as a host
Windows Servers Essentials 2012r2 - virtualized and the domain controller.
Windows 7 - virtualized, mainly used when I need to work remotely

I've noticed it seems to happen often (though not always), when I use the remote access and use the Windows 7 virtual machine. I dug into the log files and found this:

The process C:\Windows\system32\silsvc.exe (CCBHOST) has initiated the shutdown of computer CCBHOST on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x2000c
Shutdown Type: shutdown
Comment: Licensing Compliance Service caused a shutdown. Please look at the events under Microsoft > Windows > Server Infrastructure Licensing > Operational for details.
Now, I know that the EULA for WSE allows you to visualize a copy of WSE, but IIRC you'd not supposed to run any other OS's via Hyper-V on it. Has anyone else run into a problem like this? Is it seeing that I'm virtualizing a Windows 7 machine and shutting down because of that?

Did a bit of google searching and found someone with the same issue and theirs seemed to be that they did not have WSE as the domain server. In mine, the virtualized WSE is the domain server and the host is joined to that domain. Did I miss something I should have done to the host? Thanks for any help