lga3647 esxi build to host my Oracle Apps/Databases

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
@BennyT, I *just* went through this. It is a bit confusing.

edit: Oh - one thing I'll note. I pay year to year so maybe that makes a difference for the process I used?

I renewed my membership before it expired and I waited and waited and my keys never showed up. there's actually some bit of a grace period after the original VMUG order date before they will expire out as you are seeing in your vsphere client: 30 days.

I believe their description of the process is poor.

From what I figured out - reading posts etc you have to "reorder" your VMUG products each year (that is explicitly said somewhere in the VMUG process). The update keys automatically appearing - I dunno but the reorder generates the keys and then they do appear and you simply load the new keys in your installation reassign and all is well. They keys showed up within an hour of my reorder order (IIRC).

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? but it worked for me.
Hi itronin - Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll have to see how it goes once January 1st hits. I think you are right about needing to re "order" the products, just to get the keys again.

I just have to wait until after my expiry date is reached (for me that is Jan 1st 2020) before I can reorder the yearly license keys
2019-12-05_10-16-09.png

Last edited:

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
one minor nuisance, but not a functional concern or problem,... one of the green LED "drive activity" indicators for the NORCO 4224 backplane isn't working. Specifically bay #16 if counting left to right, top to bottom.

The disk and drive tray itself are totally fine, just the green LED on that backplane bay won't blink when drive reading/writing. The blue LED showing that the drive has power is working fine though. Plugged it back in and green LED still not working.

I've changed trays, but I think the LED is actually on the backplane itself and the light simply travels to front of tray using a light optics tube/channel (whatever).

Not worth replacing that backplane (NORCO uses individual backplane PCB for each row of 4 disks, so six backplanes) but if I had OCD this might send me to the hospital.

*fyi: I've reached out to service@norcotek.com . It is a good little tech support experiment.
Hi,

We purchased the NORCO 4224 chassis in December of 2018 from your Amazon store.

One of the six backplane LED green drive indicator lights quit functioning in one of the drive bays. Here is the model # printed on the backplane:

"01 SAS 12Gb V1.3"

The blue indicator lights work fine and the drive we’ve installed in that bay works fine too, but the green LED on the 4th bay quit working (furthest right of the four bays if looking from front of the chassis).

Is there possibility this backplane be replaced under warranty? If not, how much would it cost to replace and how would I order replacement? It doesn’t affect functionality of course, but I would like it working 100%.

EDIT2: - Just a few hrs have passed since emailing them and Judy Zhou from NORCO replied asking for my amazon invoice# which I've sent to them. Prettyfast response so far actually.
EDIT3: - They honored the warranty even though it was outside the 1 yr period by a couple weeks. The issue with the indicator light not working actually began prior to the 1yr period ending. Parts have been shipped to me and I should get them soon by USPS Priority Mail. They were really nice and helpful and fast response.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand__

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Here's what one of the Norco backplanes looks like. Swapping it in this weekend to replace the one who's activity LED stopped working.
IMG_20191228_144249.jpg

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Happy New Year.

Regarding multi-year VMUG subscriptions (such as a prepaid 3 yr subscription), and the reason for my posting... once 12 months have elapsed and you are now ready to re-download new 1 YR product license keys, you still have to email your VMUG rep. The reason is because the VMUG Webstore isn't aware of multi-year Advantage memberships. It requires a manual process where a VMUG rep will re-activate your membership again and then you can download your new keys.

I first subscribed to VMUG Advantage on Dec 31, 2018 with a 3 yr. That is also the date I downloaded license keys. So I'm ready to get new keys... I logged into VMUG webstore to download new license keys early this morning, but it said my advantage membership had expired. I emailed VMUG this morning and they replied by 8:30AM (on New Years day no less) and said they've just updated my webstore account to "active status". I was then able to download the new license keys.

Basically the keys last for 13 months. You can re-download new keys again after 12 months elapse, but not before. That gives you a 30 day window to acquire new keys. If you have multi-year Advantage, contact VMUG at advantage@vmug.com to remind them to re-activate your store account each year before you download another set of new keys..

One thing I noticed, the vSphere license keys are good for 12 CPU sockets now instead of 6 CPUs. Nice! Now I just need to buy more hardware and CPUs.

Reactions: itronin

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Can't remember I had to email them, but it's been a while and I am not getting younger :p. Or maybe they realized on their own.
However, glad its working (relatively) smooth for you:)

Do you happen to know if the 12 CPU change also happened for the VSAN Licenses?

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Can't remember I had to email them, but it's been a while and I am not getting younger :p. Or maybe they realized on their own.
However, glad its working (relatively) smooth for you:)

Do you happen to know if the 12 CPU change also happened for the VSAN Licenses?
Yeah, you're probably right, VMUG might've updated/activated my webstore account without my asking them if I had given them more time. I was trying to login just after midnight on New Years, just 50 minutes after my first of 3 yrs ended. I was anxious. :) They probably do the manual activation each year to prevent abusing the system or something like that.

VSAN is still 6 CPUs
2020-01-02_9-21-00.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah too bad, could use another couple of CPUs for my test env (yes I know I could simply add it to another vCenter instance but thats annyoing;) )

Thanks for confirming :)

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
We're increasing system memory.

The X11DPI mobo has 6 dimm slots per socket (really it's eight slots per socket but those extra two, if filled, sacrifices the six channel performance).

Currently we have one socket populated and two 32GB RDIMM for 64 GB total.

I'm installing SAP HANA in memory database ERP systems and need more RAM. ALOT more RAM.

Do you see any problem if i remove the 32GB RDIMM and put in four 64GB LRDIMM?

is there any downside to using 64GB LRDIMM?

I see there are 64GB RDIMM but they are more costly than 64GB LRDIMM

Thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
As long as you dont mix them it should work fine -
IIrc they use more ranks, but I am no memory expert, but make sure to check that.
And o/c take care not to exceed the total memory capability of your CPUs, but I think that's only reached with 128G modules

Reactions: BennyT

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Thanks Rand
the 64GB sticks are
PC4-21300
MEM-DR464L-HL01-LR26DDR4
2666 1.2V 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM

Intel ark says our Xeon 6130 can go to max 768GB

If I eventually fill both CPU sockets and all twelve DIMM slots with 64GB sticks that is 768GB total. I think this is the ideal density of RAM sticks for this setup. Prices have risen about $25 per stick in the past couple months, but I needed to upgrade.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think max memory would be per CPU, but am not sure, but since it will be ok either way I think thats no issue for you :)

For your application make sure these are on the HCL of the board so you can point to SM in case of any issues. Had some issues with larger memory sizes (but to be fair I mixed Ram sizes= different ranks), so I dont think that should happen to you

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Question though, if the Intel ark says the max for my CPU is 768GB, and if I had both sockets populated would that mean the max allowed be double 768GB for allowed 1536GB maximum?

*edit: ha, I must've posted as you were replying. I'm reading your reply now.

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
I checked the Supermicro eStore compatibility tool to find certified memory for my particular motherboard. Here is the User Guide memory listing for my 1st gen Xeon Scalable processor. 2nd Gen processors allows for even longer list of sticks available
2020-04-21_15-15-32.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes o/c they should work (what the memory guide or manual says), but
upload_2020-4-21_22-27-8.png

these are the only officially tested current models (they cannot fail to give you support on) ...

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Thanks again Rand.

Supermicro eStore website is not consistent... I may need to call them. Their two websites (product pages vs eStore pages) gives contradicting information

I pull up the motherboard product page: X11DPi-NT | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

I clicked "Tested Memory List" and it shows the two LRDIMM modules pictured in the above posting. I click the eStore button for the Hynix and takes me to it's product page in the eStore.

I double check to see if the part is "validated" for my motherboard by entering my mobo # and it comes back with this:

2020-04-21_19-40-45.png

I ask the eStore to show me Validated Memory DDR4 sticks for my motherboard and it lists about 24 modules but it doesn't list that Hynix HL03 stick shown above. SM is making things difficult :)

The eStore does show the one I was considering purchase which is MEM-DR464L-HL01-LR26DDR4. That's how I found it originally. Note that the "Tested" module is almost same part number but with HL03 instead of the HL01. I wonder if HL03 is just a later revision or new stock and hasn't been updated in their inventory --- or maybe it hasn't arrive in their inventory yet.

SM has a problem with their validated/tested product cross reference listings in the eStore. I wasn't going to purchase from SM though. I'll be purchasing from Wiredzone which has had really good customer support for me, but I'll need to chat with them prior to purchase and perhaps call or chat with SM too.

Thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Oh my...

Yes the supported memory list of SM boards has always been a bit questionable... me personally it does not concern usually, but it makes for a great argument with support in case of...
Good luck with that then :)

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
I learned today that the HL01 distinction part number is EOL and although they are in stock they only have two of them.

Anyone know if otherwise same specification sticks from same manufacturer, but of different Releases will work okay in same system?

I ask because the HL01 are but $100 less than the HL03. I was wondering why they were alot less money in the online stores, now I know why.

I may just bite the bullet and get four sticks of latest HL03 even though more expensive I feel better. What happens when I expand my memory in another year and they have HL06?

Can anyone here help me understand compatibility between different memory release# in same system?

Thanks!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Usually those should work together fine - the same way its usually fine to mix different vendor's modules which are built to the same spec.
99,999 % of all cases work fine but once in a while you get a weird glitch where it doesn't...

Thus the official recommendation is to always use same vendor, same release - whether its worth your money to be on the safe side depends on your application. O/c you can always contact the memory vendor to get feedback on planned releases or assurance for compatibility...

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Chatted yesterday with Supermicro sales. Confirmed that both HL01 and HL03 variants were tested by SM with my motherboard and they'll update the e-store validation to reflect that.

Then I called wiredzone this morning, who I'll be ordering from, and spoke directly with the founder and CEO. Confirmed compatibility again and planned releases, etc. Got a great deal on latest HL03 with free overnight shipping.

Today or tomorrow I talk with SAP technical team for their S/4 HANA applications and in-memory database on sizing etc. I may need to order a couple more sticks depending what they say.

Reactions: Rand__