lga3647 esxi build to host my Oracle Apps/Databases

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
My new 5PX1500RTNG2 should arrive tomorrow. Ordered it from provantage.

While I'm waiting for it to arrive i downloaded the free IPM version v1.7.255. Release notes were dated Dec 2021. EOL Support for IPM v1 is Dec 31 2023 according to Eaton IPM FAQ.

To implement IPM in a VMware vSphere environment you install IPM as a preconfigured appliance VM in the form of an .ova file . Deploy the IPM VM as a guest vm in the ESXi host.

IPM v1.7 works great (as far as i can tell without having a UPS yet to test with it) but one issue is that the vCenter plug-in it comes with is not HTML5 therefore the plug-in is incompatible with the HTML5 variants of vCenter vSphere Client . Without the compatible plug-in you cannot fully use IPM software connected to an HTML5 vCenter. But you can create a connection directly to the ESXi hosts without going through vCenter (didn't need the plug-in) for graceful vm and host shutdowns.

EATON also has the newer IPM v2.4, which does come with an HTML5 plug-in which is compatible with vCenter using HTML5.. But IPM v2+ is not free. You must pay a license fee for each "node" being managed plus maintenance fee.

*Definition of a NODE is a UPS, or a ESXi host or a non hypervisor computer. I may go to v2 later but for now I'm going to try the free software.

v1.7 is downloadable for now, but soon (i think Dec 2022) Eaton plans to remove the website that the .ova download is hosted on to merge it into the newer EATON website. I'm unsure if IPM v1.7 download will be accessible after that cutover occurs, so get it now while you can (url for download is in my previous post).

Regarding the v1.7 of IPM, im still experimenting with it and can't do much until the UPS arrives. But i can create connections to the ESXi host, setup email smtp to test alerts from IPM etc. I'll know more tomorrow and I'll probably post a follow up here sometime next Monday.

Have a good day

Last edited:

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
The Eaton 5PX1500RTNG2 arrived yesterday. We installed it and I'm still configuring but I've completed most of the setup

Here are the three Eaton software packages involved with my setup

- Installed and configured Eaton IPM v1.7 .ova as a VM on the ESXi Host.
https://powerquality.eaton.com/supp...adg_Q_QRequired=&site=&menu=&cx=179&x=10&y=14
IPM is the primary software for managing alerts, events etc of the UPS. It can connect and see the UPS, the Hypervisors and the Physical Servers (if IPP is installed on those physical servers).

- Installed and configured IPP .rpm package on physical linux servers (not virtualized):
https://powerquality.eaton.com/supp...adg_Q_QRequired=&site=&menu=&cx=179&x=15&y=12
IPP is only needed on standalone physical servers (servers that are not hypervisor hosts or not a VM). It has it's own web page login for tying that server to a UPS on the network.

- Configured the optional Eaton "Network-M2" adapter card via the adapters web page.
*Without the optional network card you can still use the included USB or Serial Cable to connect one server directly to the UPS for communicating actions and events between UPS and the Server. If that server is networked then I think other servers on the same LAN can receive trickle down instructions from the first server to also be shutdown... but I''m unsure of that... which is why I went with the optional network card installed in the UPS.

I'll post some screenshots with detailed instructions a little later, but for now I just wanted to give quick success report that I was able to test automated shutdown of ESXi Host and Guests from the UPS on power outage.

I'm still working on shutting down standalone physical servers and the devices such as network stuff (router, switch, modem). I'll post more after I get this all figured out and finalized. Very happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aluminat

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
I was unable to upload my word doc (file was too large) with my detailed notes on how I setup IPM, IPP and the UPS Network-M2 web interface configurations. But here are a few setup screenshots showing how I configured IPM v1.7

screenshots show how to config IPM to gracefully shutdown ESXi Host when UPS switches to battery

- timing: this config allows ESXi Host to run for 15 minutes on UPS battery. After 15 minutes (900 seconds) it will put ESXi into Maintenance mode and shutdown the Guest VMs. Then ESXi itself will shutdown. There is a 10 minute window (600 seconds) that begins after the 15 minutes on battery. If the ESXi Host has not been able to shutdown the guest VMs after 10 minutes then I will assume a VM is not responsive and the VMs will be powered off. Then the ESXi Host will be gracefully shutdown. You will see the 900s and 600s in screenshots below. That may better explain what those timers represent.

2022-06-17_12-28-53.png2022-06-24_15-01-41.png2022-06-20_19-15-34.png2022-06-20_19-42-24.png2022-06-21_9-39-23.png2022-06-21_10-32-25.png2022-06-21_10-37-08.png2022-06-21_10-48-57.png2022-06-21_10-54-20.png2022-06-21_11-07-05.png2022-06-21_11-23-35.png2022-06-20_20-04-28.png

I've also downloaded and installed the free IPP v1.69 (IPP as opposed to IPM shown above). It works in a similar fashion to IPM but instead of configuring an ESXi for Maint Mode and Shutdown, you simply tell IPP when to shutdown the Linux host it is installed on. I may later upload screenshots of that too, but it is pretty self explanatory once you get it installed. IPM shown in the above screenshots was the more complex part to configure.

It's all working great. I've tested outages by unplugging UPS from wall.
-after 15 minutes on battery:
-the ESXi Host will go into Maintenance Mode and then shutdown the VMs and then shutdown itself (configured in IPM)
-the Physical Servers with IPP installed will also run on battery for 15 minutes, then shutdown (configured in IPP)
-after 25 minutes ALL power output receptacles will have their power turned off (configured in UPS Network-M2 web interface - this software piece doesn't have a fancy acronym or name)

I may reconfigure the threshold timers to trigger shutdown based on how much percentage or time is remaining on Battery rather than how much time it's been on battery. But so far I like the way it is setup to run on battery for 15 minutes and THEN trigger shutdowns

Last edited:

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Upgraded all storage in the ESXi from HDD to Flash. No more HDDs. I've spent the last two days moving all VMs from the HDDs to the SSD datastores.

According to my UPS I'm using at least 120+w less now, at idle. And the VMs are so much snappier, the Oracle DB I/O is great (no contention and performance is really good).

Last edited: