LGA2011v2 Motherboard reboots suddenly when booting OS or ISOs except one Software

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alex0220

Feb 13, 2021
I've got an older A10Networks Thunder Firewall from 2013. The included software is not usable for me because it is just too old. I'd like to use it for other networking stuff.

Hardware
CPU: 1x Intel Xeon E5-2680v2
Motherboard: Probably a customized A10Networks board with AMIBIOS
Memory: 4x 16GB DDR3 ECC
SSD: Intel DC

Every time I try to boot something else than the included software that is on a small flash card, the system reboots after a few minutes. I've tried to change some ACPI settings but that didn't help.

As I've already mentioned, there is no real motherboard name, just "MB-9961". Could it be a hardware lock from A10Networks to prevent installing other software?

Thanks in advance

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
can you boot memtest86 to check for double ECC errors ?
one reason for spurious reboots because this is intended.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
check the BIOS logs for errors (reasons for reboots)

the hardware is equipped with a tamper detection, possibly the reason for the restart. if that is the case you have no chance.

Alex0220

Feb 13, 2021
can you boot memtest86 to check for double ECC errors ?
one reason for spurious reboots because this is intended.
check the BIOS logs for errors (reasons for reboots)

the hardware is equipped with a tamper detection, possibly the reason for the restart. if that is the case you have no chance.
Every other sofware reboots after a few minutes, even the BIOS screen. The IPMI shows these event logs:
System Reconfigured,OEM System Boot Event,Undetermined System Hardware Failure,Entry Added to Auxiliary Log,PEF Action - Asserted

Alex0220

Feb 13, 2021
the watchdog can be a simple protection.
Thank you, you just saved me time and sleepless nights!!! Disabling the Watchdog in the BIOS fixed the problem. Turns out the A10 Software must have the watchdog package installed to report to the BIOS.

Reactions: RolloZ170