LGA1366 vs 2011 for 4k 6k 8k vidwork?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
I'm still confused by the number of PC's. You want one for yourself, and a backup. You also want one for your girlfriend to use, but her needs seem to probably be a bit lower than yours. You also need one for another friend...who's needs don't seem to be nearly as intensive as yours. Then you also want one for remote use? That's 5 units.

I feel like your listed 6 computers(I count 5 that you tried to justify, not sure where 6 came from) is just totally skewering your budget.
The numbers have been a bit vague because part of it is dependant on other things, I could have just as well said 2-8 machines with the latter being if I got real good deals on something. There are two other 'maybe' people, I consider chances of at least one of them possibly jumping on board 65%, of both of them 32%, but the more I explain every little detail it makes for long uninteresting posts for most people. In general i've shortened it to 3-6 because I didn't think i'd have the budget to kit out more than 6, and i'm willing to do less than 6 if something like multiseat setups legitimately solve some problems.

Mostly i'm just trying to ask the people here what they are best at giving advice over which is more the ex-enterprise computer hardware focus at the best value. Other times i'm thinking my way through several routes to a goal (hence researching Quanta Windmill, ex-workstations, and just getting aftermarket used mobos without the workstation) because until I have to cut a check I don't have to decide and last moment information might sway the decision towards more flexibility.

Like my #1 top remaining question I guess is still "is there any situation where LGA 2011 is radically faster (ie 10x from new instruction sets or something that software uses) than LGA 1366 or is it only the 15-20% clock for clock benefit in general across the board?" The saved cpu money pays for another step up in GPU, which modern software uses alot more often probably making it faster is all, and the GPU can still migrate to a new 2011 machine later too.

In general I just think i'm just going to go LGA 1366 short of last moment new info... I can get a 15% faster clockrated CPU for less money (essentially making up the difference) for a little more power use, because it represents the least invested money to do a job while gliding forward a little further waiting for the next superdeal. The main 'investment' will be hundreds of gigs of DDR3 (and probably GPU/SSD) that I would migrate to an Ivy Bridge based Windmill/used workstation/aftermarket workstation 2011-mobo later if I spend the minimum on the cpu/mobos. Which will happen once I see the next "cant miss" deal.

Yet if someone can say "here's a benchmark showing 10x faster in 3d Studio and Maya" or Premiere or some other critical software that could sway me back to 2011 though at the last moment, see what I mean? :p Cuz I wont give up that much difference over $100 per seat.

Brief expansions on the snipped questions:
- The remote is potentially to help with programming, game testing, and even some infrequent but full video work. I want him having the flexibility to totally overview our video projects and possibly contribute small but time consuming things to the workfile, tune edit points, etc.
- The existing girlfriend PC has 24gigs but maxes at 32gig on board possible - that's just fine for 1080p right now but chokes on 4k when we tried it. That's why my big buying goal was 64gigs minimum per workstation this time around. My bottleneck is mostly ram.
- Remote login stuff IS one of the things I want to explore, along with virtualization. I don't have to be "production ready" for superbig projects tomorrow, i'm still in school, I have some time to learn. So i'm wanting to learn about virtualization, remote desktops, and similar things while I have the time to make and recover from mistakes, explore different solutions to a problem, etc. Having more machines than I need in itself helps exploration - I can try a totally new configuration strategy that if it utterly fails I go back to the reliable way to finish the project.
- I cant find any affordable laptop with 64gigs of RAM for editing 4k in Premiere. :) A stupid Macbook Pro is twice my budget with 1/4th that.

I know it seems like the desire to be overcomputered is part of a problem, but whether I buy one or two or twelve I still see as less important than like my big question of whether a 2011 cpu is ever much better than 15-20% faster than a 1366 clock for clock. Whatever i'm doing, if i'm able, i'll be starting with just one test mobo/cpu/ram to start, and if it works well adding the others during the semester. If I decide "hey i'm just fine with four PC's" because a multiseat software helped me solve things with just 2 at home instead of 3, +1 remote, +1 friend - then so be it. More money for the NAS drives. :p

But I could just as well scale it up to 8 computers if the two friends jump on board because the same question about the least expensive way to get them usable (not perfect, just usable) tools has been answered - a viable minimum workstation for the current need. I could chase the dragon of "10% faster, 10% less energy use" forever which mostly matters when the work volume is high and consistent.

I know people are trying to save me money by making me rethink my problem from the ground up, and I appreciate that, I just sorta figured the # of computers was the least important. Whenever I started listing like "oh, other friends and other software we might run" it just confuses things... like I havent mentioned ProTools for audio yet, because anything with 32gigs can run ProTools, but that's yet another mostly dedicated PC usage someone might need. So that person might get handed the current 24gig Athlon 6 core the GF uses as a hand me down... meaning it's no longer available to backup our main PC's. But why bore everyone with all these little details? :p At the end of the day I need 1-8 PC's built, tho probably 3-6, i'm buying as I go one at a time, i'll stop if I realize I have enough, most will eventually be upgraded at least the graphics ones to 2011 anyways in 1-3 years when a good deal shows up, and i'm trying to minimize the cpu/mobo cost so I can maximize what goes into RAM, GPU, and SSD as all those things will migrate with and have a longer lifespan in use. And after all that exploration I guess i'm still left wondering whether 2011 is ever dramatically/ie 10x faster than 1366 in any critical software or situation i'm using it on, or if its just 15%. Because if it's just 15% faster per clock I think I just want to go 1366 for everything right now, it's a compromise i'm happy with.

At least in the Linux world multiseat is generally considered to be the more appropriate term for a system that allows for multiple users to be logged in concurrently using local displays, keyboards, mice, and whatnot. The term multihead is generally reserved for a system where multiple displays are made available to a single user.
Yep you got it. Although i'm looking for that solution for Windows, possibly even Macintosh. FWIW I found a few possible software candidates to test which MAY do what I want - allow a single computer with an Adobe CC license, to have two different softwares running at once to separate users. (like Illustrator and Premiere) AKA the way it would be if I were allowed to purchase individual softwares, with the option to install to separate PC's instead of the same one. Each software is still only with one user at a time by definition so I dont think this is a EULA abuse, even though it's probably not the intended configuration. Because we have two Adobe CC licenses authorized and will never need more than two Premiere sessions operating at one time at home, but the few times a third person might sit in to help it would be nice to slave them to making a lower third graphic, or text overlay or other monkeywork could be useful. Loading those other CC softwares on a separate seat would be super-useful.