LGA Insertion/Removal Tool -- No more bent pins?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OzB

Jul 31, 2013
Hi,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, so first of all I just wanted to express my appreciation for this great resource.

After having bent a few CPU socket pins, I had to wonder if there was a better way of putting in the CPU without taking that risk.

Some of the OEM Service Manuals mention a CPU Insertion Tool, which they recommend specifically for this purpose. As far as I can tell this tool is only made and sold by a certain company in Taiwan, CCI. This company is linked to directly from Intel's site.

I have contacted them, and they can send these parts, but shipping is very expensive. On a small $40 order (a couple units for each socket type) I would have to pay $160 shipping fees.

I was wondering if anyone else might be interested in these units, and perhaps the shipping would be more manageable distributed over a larger order. I can't guarantee that these really work as promised, but perhaps it's worth a try.

Note they are sold out of the LGA2011 Field Insertion units, so if you want something for LGA2011 you have to go for the Factory versions.

Let me know if you're interested, or if you think this is a waste of time and I should just be more careful.

Oz

PS: I'm looking for about $3/item above what the CCI site has, or perhaps much less if there's enough interest/you're buying more than a couple items. I'd also be interested if someone has any of these around somehow. Sorry if this post doesn't belong here, let me know

Last edited:

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
Really you are having issue bending the pins? I thought one of the main advantages of LGA was it reduced this issue. The older stlye where the pins were on the chip is was very easy to bend the pins but I have not run into this issue at all with LGA particularly since the pins never actually have to be pressed into any hole just rest against a semi-flat surface of the chip.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Welcome! I cannot get to the page. Maybe being more careful is a place to start. If you are not confident, even with shipping cheaper to have the tool.

Wonder if you can get DHL to courier it cheaper?

vegaman

Sep 12, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Really you are having issue bending the pins? I thought one of the main advantages of LGA was it reduced this issue. The older stlye where the pins were on the chip is was very easy to bend the pins but I have not run into this issue at all with LGA particularly since the pins never actually have to be pressed into any hole just rest against a semi-flat surface of the chip.
^ This. Since LGA I've only had bent pins on boards that arrived that way, usually because of bad packaging - i.e. RMA replacement board shipped without a box.

I think you'd be better off trying to find a package forwarding company or even a friend or something in Taiwan to do it for you. Group buys are a lot of work to organise, and I think you'd have trouble finding enough buyers for something like this.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
The money might be better put towards a dead (or super cheap but working) LGA775 or so board + matching CPU and some practice without any pressure! You should be able to find one quite easily.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
The money might be better put towards a dead (or super cheap but working) LGA775 or so board + matching CPU and some practice without any pressure! You should be able to find one quite easily.
I agree, some technique practice would be better. I've only had bent pins from bad shipping or when people manage to pull a fast one at microcenter and return it without them checking. (good thing you can open your board right there before you leave the store, ALWAYS DO IT)

I'm easily in the hundreds of cpu installs since LGA came out, especially since I had to flash a crapton of boards with an old celeron so they would support an upgrade. (random note: you can carefully lay a heatsink on top w/o paste and it works well enough to get the job done, after the first half dozen I was done caring about a 'proper' mount)

You aren't actually pressing the chips down are you? You are only supposed to literally lay the cpu flat on the pins and let the socket mechanism do all the work.
Keep your fingers off the bottom of the chip, and hold it just enough from the sides or corners, if you are squeezing the chip like a coin your skin will be between the edges and the pins.

OTOH, be sure to take a picture and use the socket protector before you RMA a board, some places seem to be a bit suspect on wanting to reject returns to save money and blame the end user, been some noise about newegg for example. Better yet, video it :)