LGA 3647 Processor Installation – Intel Advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

I did not know where best to post this, so I put it here at the top of the forum’s lists.

Be careful when buying used Intel Scalable possessors – they may have been installed like this.

Warning.

Use this installation method at your own risk - A processor may have been intentionally harmed during the production of this video!

I recently joined the Intel Scalable LGA3647 club and like many was a little nervous about installing the processors, particularly about the torque settings of the 4 installation screws.

There are lots of threads about this and this discussion caught my attention, particularly the emphasis on having the correct type of Torx driver.https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/xeon-platinum-8124m-18c-3-0ghz-575.29999/

Before my first attempt at Installation, I searched for some instructional videos – I thought they might help.

If you search Google for “Intel Installation 3647” This comes top of the list in the UK.

How to Install an Intel® Xeon® Processor into an LGA3647 Socket

Watch from 5.45

Intel Installation LGA3647.JPG

I did not use this method - my installation was OK.

I wonder what genius at Intel authorised this video to be released - Intel really do have some problems.

Have fun and be careful.

RedX1

Reactions: Samir

Tinkerer

Sep 5, 2020
The only thing I can spot is that one side the middle screw was completely fastened, this tilts the cooler and cpu to that side. Then on the other side the middle screw was fastened all the way. The two corner screws don't prevent the block from tilting either way when completely fastening the middle one.

So the preferred way IMO is to gradually fasten the opposing screws in the middle a turn at a time, until both are fastened to about 0.8 nm.

aij

May 7, 2017
If you look at 2:40, you can see they set the clutch torque limit to "6".

This reminds me of another video I'm having trouble finding, in which someone shows how to install a CPU in the wrong motherboard by scraping off some extra rows of pins.

Sep 4, 2017
At least this actually works, whereas AMD TR/EPYC socket works only half the time for me and has to be completely redone.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I thought system nerds would start by downloading motherboard manuals before they begin. Most manuals for these newer processors will describe how to install them and include the torque specification: 12 lb ft-in.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
It's interesting how processor installation is now becoming exactly like how wheels are supposed to be installed on a car--except that air tools are often used. And there's no problems with that, right? No warped brake rotors, or broken studs, or unexplained vibrations, etc...

I can see the same nature of problems by incorrect installation of these type of processors. The more precise this stuff gets, the less idiot proof it becomes...

Reactions: klui

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Many moons ago, I was once an car-ignorant lad with a auto that came with alloy wheels. I didn't have any impact tool but I just tightened the nuts as hard as I could. Lo and behold the brakes soon started pulsating which made me more informed in this area.

Anyone who uses an impact tool to install stuff is either ignorant or asking for trouble. Taking it off is one thing, as long as it's not the nut that needs wheel locks. The latter happened to my other car 5 years ago. The shop was able to find a replacement nut that fit my lock--sad state of affairs on wheel locks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
So long as proper torque limiters are set you are better off with a power tool than by hand... I have seen hbm die stacks crushed by hand over tightening...but you do need to fasten in the order shown and you generally attach all screws by a few turns to prevent heatsink tilting.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Uh.. I think that as long as you have a quality tool, it would be better to avoid a power driver. You should tighten *gradually*, without reaching the torque limit directly.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
May I ask how much torque does Intel officially specifies? I cannot find that piece of information...