LGA 3647 CPU cooler installation (Possibly water cooling block)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I am getting a LGA 3647 WS motherboard and I already have Xeon CPU. I am trying to figure out how to get a proper cooler. I check youtube videos and I am confused about the complexity of 3647 CPU installation. One particular concern, it seems like there is a plastic bracket attaches the cpu to the cooler before installation. I am not sure if this part is sold separately or if it comes with the cooler.

From the videos, It actually looked like something specific to the motherboard. I wonder if someone can articulate if the black plastic bracket and screws to hold them come with the cooler/water block or specific to the motherboard.

Here is one detailed video I found:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the bracket comes with the motherboard and sometimes is included in the cooler.

Reactions: Bert

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you can also put the CPU in the socket(not recommended), apply the thermal paste and install the cooler.
but if you deinstall the cooler, the CPU can drop back into the socket if the thermal paste is dry.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
screw 1&2 are only for tilt protection. Screw 3&4 are pressing the socket on the CPU.
i do it thefollowing way:
put the Cooler/CPU combination on the socket.
fasten Screw 1 and 2
then lightly(two fingers) turn the screw 3 & 4 as soon they get in the thread without wobbling.
then
one turn(360degr.) Screw 3 (1)
one turn(360degr.) Screw 4 (2)
one turn(360degr.) Screw 3 (3)
one turn(360degr.) Screw 4 (4)
one turn(360degr.) Screw 3 (5)
one turn(360degr.) Screw 4 (6)
until the end of the thread, use a torque screwdriver, i do not need it anymore, you can feel the end)

deinstallation in reverse order.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

I did post about this before.

Installing these LGA3647 CPU’s the first time can be quite daunting.

You can use care, precision and finesse for your expensive toys – or you might want to chance following the official Intel guidance.

How to Install an Intel® Xeon® Processor into an LGA3647 Socket

Please be aware that the substrate on the more recent Intel processors is much thinner than that of the older (~E5) generations and can be easily damaged

Either way, take care and Bon Chance.

Have fun with your project.

RedX1

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
You can use care, precision and finesse for your expensive toys – or you might want to chance following the official Intel guidance.
i do not recommend to follow this movie, but of course it works that way.
no OEM company (dell/HPE/cisco etc) follows that instructions.
if you want to install your CPU once and never change it, do it so.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
i do not recommend to follow this movie, but of course it works that way.
no OEM company (dell/HPE/cisco etc) follows that instructions.
if you want to install your CPU once and never change it, do it so.
What is wrong with the approach in the video. It seems like only difference is that you suggest balancing screw tightness which of course makes sense.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What is wrong with the approach in the video. It seems like only difference is that you suggest balancing screw tightness which of course makes sense.
do it 10 times, i bet one time will fail. but good luck if you follow the movie.
by the way: the girl never powered the board on...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It seems like only difference is that you suggest balancing screw tightness which of course makes sense
YES because that is the important part.
if you do it yourself like in the movie, you will see that is kind of wrong.
i am sure the girl had not payed for the hardware she is working with.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
YES because that is the important part.
if you do it yourself like in the movie, you will see that is kind of wrong.
i am sure the girl had not payed for the hardware she is working with.
Thanks for the insight. I will follow your suggestion and in any case this is how I install cpu coolers for earlier boards.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I successfully installed the CPU by following the recommendations here. My first attempt was with a vanilla 1U CPU cooler but I want to switch to water cooling and AFAIS, water blocks do not come with CPU carrier. My motherboard didn't come with a CPU carrier as well and AFAIS, cpu carriers are specific to the cooler.

Here is an example CPU cooler:

and there is no CPU carrier mentioned in the instructions. Does this make sense? I am not sure how CPU will be stable in the socket without the carrier.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
and there is no CPU carrier mentioned in the instructions. Does this make sense? I am not sure how CPU will be stable in the socket without the carrier.
i have this EK Annihilator EX/EP block.
the standard carrier does not fit because of wrong placed holes.
this carrier is to place the CPU exactly(on the Cooler/WBlock) and prevent dropping into the socket (deinstallation)
you can put the CPU without anything into the socket, apply thermal paste and install the block.
normaly the thermal paste is like glue and the CPU comes with the Block out of the socket, but if not...good luck.

AFAIS, cpu carriers are specific to the cooler.
should not if they follow Intel rules/specs.
the carries are standard: there are two types: narrow ILM / square ILM

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
My motherboard didn't come with a CPU carrier
Most Square ILM mainboards come with carries.
all supermicro LGA3647 cooler come with carrier.
all waterblocks should include a matching carrier.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
i have this EK Annihilator EX/EP block.
the standard carrier does not fit because of wrong placed holes.
this carrier is to place the CPU exactly(on the Cooler/WBlock) and prevent dropping into the socket (deinstallation)
you can put the CPU without anything into the socket, apply thermal paste and install the block.
normaly the thermal paste is like glue and the CPU comes with the Block out of the socket, but if not...good luck.

should not if they follow Intel rules/specs.
the carries are standard: there are two types: narrow ILM / square ILM
Thanks. I bought the EVGA SR-3 and it does not come with a carrier.

I didn't get one thing. Are the wrong placed holes on the EK waterblock? Did you simply use the EK waterblock without the carrier?

There is also this waterblock, should I consider that one: Bykski CPU-SKYLAKE-E-V3 CPU Water Cooling Block - Full Metal - Nickel Plated ... | eBay but I don't see any carrier with that one as well.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
didn't get one thing. Are the wrong placed holes on the EK waterblock?
yes - don't buy the Annihilator EX/EP

Did you simply use the EK waterblock without the carrier?
yes, but i used the carrier to put the cpu in the socket.
the newer gen LGA3647 EK waterblock also comes without carrier. see the manual how to install.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the dangerous part of the installation is putting the CPU in the socket and remove it(without carrier)

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
yes - don't buy the Annihilator EX/EP

yes, but i used the carrier to put the cpu in the socket.
the newer gen LGA3647 EK waterblock also comes without carrier. see the manual how to install.
Is this the new generation EK waterblock?

This one also does not come cpu carrier. Will it work with standard CPU carriers?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
This one also does not come cpu carrier. Will it work with standard CPU carriers?
not tested. but i think EK does not faulty twice.

i have seen this WB with a CPU carrier